Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally went and got my boat. It's basically the shia package from Freeway Sports. 542 War Eagle with a 23hp backwater mud motor. It has the runners and winch mount from Butch and I just placed an order with him for the lewis winch and motor. I also ordered a Avery blind with the rain top, banded bubba ladder, and a beaver tail dog ramp. That to me is an absolute silly amount to spend to chase ducks and geese so I guess I'll have to fish out of it to try to get my money's worth. ;).

I actually got it to be able to go more places and hunt Shia SGA, but the biggest reason is so that I can give my son memories of hunting and fishing with me in the boat.

Oh well it'll be free until I have to make my 1st payment. Oh yeah, I gotta get more decoys, but don't tell me wife!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
222 Posts
Congrats! I have the same rig and blind and love it. I also got the winch and chainsaw from Butch! The beaver tail ramp looks nice but I worry about the dog catching a nail on the grating. I'll be going out tomorrow with the boy scouting and training the dog off the boat. Enjoy!

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
haha...well you didn't f&%@ around did ya. you will absolutely love that boat. I think its the best all around michigan boat as you can actually hunt some bigger water with it pretty safely and still get into a managed area when needed. Not too big, not too small.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats! I have the same rig and blind and love it. I also got the winch and chainsaw from Butch! The beaver tail ramp looks nice but I worry about the dog catching a nail on the grating. I'll be going out tomorrow with the boy scouting and training the dog off the boat. Enjoy!
Thanks, I have concerns on the dog ramp too, but I figured I put something on top of the grating

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haha...well you didn't f&%@ around did ya. you will absolutely love that boat. I think its the best all around michigan boat as you can actually hunt some bigger water with it pretty safely and still get into a managed area when needed. Not too big, not too small.
Nope and the bank account shows it! I took it out on Ford lake yesterday for its maiden voyage and as low as it sat with my big butt and that heavy mm I ain't getting anywhere big water until I loose a LOT more weight! I almost thought pods were in my future.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll be patiently waiting with my phone for your call to go test it out this season Joe!

Congrats I can't wait to try it out.... I mean for you to try it out! :rolleyes:
LOL! No problem Shuan, I'm sure we can manage something!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Took it out yesterday to get a better look at the blue angels over Ford lake. The wife and kid weren't all that impressed, but I kind of liked it. I told her that it a duck boat so that's how its set up. She agreed. We basically went around the whole lake.

So far its not as stable as I expected, but I'm a fat guy so when I move it moves. With out any adjustment's it went well. It took a while to get used to steering and the throttle. It's on the loud side, yeah I know duh. I'd like to look into a different throttle set up. It did great on fuel.

Now I'm waiting on the blind to show up and install it for the season.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Congrats! I'd have to agree that its an all around great rig, however once you get it out where it really shines (SHI) you won't regret spending the $$, especially taking your boy out in it and feeling safe. I run a 25hp outboard on mine for the summer and it's a blast.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts