Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Some of you know me and know I've been a long time compound bow hunter and loved it and I never thought I would have to give it up, but unfortunately I didn't have a choice in the matter. In early June of this yr I had a neck surgery that didn't go very well and my spinal cord ended up getting injured which made me disabled. The majority of my problems are in my left arm, hands and shoulder they are nearly useless I can only lift about 2 pounds with my left arm. My right was also affected but is much stronger than my left. That being said I couldn't even pick up my bow let alone draw it so I figured if I want to keep my sanity I better buy a crossbow. I just picked it up today I got a tenpoint titan extreme it I tried to get the best bow I could afford(I have no income yet). It is all completely foreign to me and I m probably going to have a bunch of question for you guys so be ready. One question I have right off the bat is does anyone have any experience with the steddyeddy? I wont be climbing in any trees and cant really support the crossbow with my left arm so I was considering getting that.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Hi guys,
Some of you know me and know I've been a long time compound bow hunter and loved it and I never thought I would have to give it up, but unfortunately I didn't have a choice in the matter. In early June of this yr I had a neck surgery that didn't go very well and my spinal cord ended up getting injured which made me disabled. The majority of my problems are in my left arm, hands and shoulder they are nearly useless I can only lift about 2 pounds with my left arm. My right was also affected but is much stronger than my left. That being said I couldn't even pick up my bow let alone draw it so I figured if I want to keep my sanity I better buy a crossbow. I just picked it up today I got a tenpoint titan extreme it I tried to get the best bow I could afford(I have no income yet). It is all completely foreign to me and I m probably going to have a bunch of question for you guys so be ready. One question I have right off the bat is does anyone have any experience with the steddyeddy? I wont be climbing in any trees and cant really support the crossbow with my left arm so I was considering getting that.
Congrats good hunting

·
Registered
612 Posts
You made a good choice with the Ten Point crossbow, you won't be disappointed hunting with it, beats sitting on the couch feeling sorry for yourself. Good luck his season, I'm sure your story will inspire others to figure out a way to keep doing the things they love. please keep us updated on your hunting season.

·
Registered
36,014 Posts
Hi guys,
Are you anywhere near Cheboygan? I'll give you a set of sticks to support your crossbow while sitting in a chair.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
As a diehard Bowhunter I can relate to what your saying. I love my traditional bows and compounds. But Too many injures over the years has taken its toll on me as well. I was thinking of giving up on Bowhunting but deep in side I knew better. So I bought a ten point a few weeks ago and I am amazed on the accuracy of these things. I truly do not like the thought of dragging it threw the woods but it sure beats the alternative. It is going to be a learning curve that for sure.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I am in the same boat. I have a tumor in my right shoulder joint and cannot draw a vertical bow. So I opted for a crossbow this season. I got a Wicked Ridge and it is awesome. To the OP, I certainly hope things work out for you hunting this year. As for a rest I use a camera tripod for my Xbow and it is awesome. Good luck everybody!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
To answer your question. The Steady Eddy is nice in that it is contained with the bow so no chance of forgetting it or needing an extra hand to get it to your blind. On the flip, it does get in the way if you have to shoot offhand. Personally from a cost perspective I would buy a GOOD set of shooting sticks either two or three legged. I have tried a mono pod myself and while better than offhand not as good as a two or three legged set of sticks.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I too had to give up using a compound bow because of injury to right shoulder. Just not able to pull it back anymore. I purchased a Ten Point Stealth and am very happy with the accuracy. It is a bit more cumbersome than my compound but at least it will get me out in the woods.
I use Bog Pod tripod with my bow. Fits the bow nice is very steady, just like shooting off a bench.
My friend has the steady eddy and after trying the Bog Pod, he took the steady eddy off and got a Bog Pod.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Bog Pod is pricey but they are very well made. Lots of guys on a handgun hunting forum praise them constantly.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Nice thing about the Bog Pod is that it is so versatile. I use mine with my handguns, rifles, slug gun, and crossbow. Like I said before, it is as steady as shooting off a bench. I feel it was money well spent.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I totally understand... After multiple fractures in my spinal column and deteriorating bones all caused from a battle with cancer. I could no longer hold or shoot my vertical bow. I thought it was the worst thing that had happened throughout my long battle with the disease.. I was encouraged by my friends and sons to get a crossbow and keep hunting.. It isn't the same for me but it sure beats sitting on the couch in Oct and Nov.

Sometimes the hardest part of these kind of changes is accepting the new "normal".. If you ever need someone to talk to about it please PM me.. These kind of life altering events certainly change things but one can still come out the other end with an understanding of significant personal purpose, sometimes more clearly than one had before entering into the event...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys,
I'm in the same boat as you. I have been an avid bow hunter and take all the deer that I'm going to shoot for that year with my bow but after my accident I'm unable to draw a bow or even shoot a high power rifle any more. Soooo I now own a crossbow. It is what it is have fun with it and good luck.

·
Registered
373 Posts
There are a lot of us in the boat. I had two abdominal surgeries recently due to Colon cancer. I was afraid of pulling my bow back in a tree and hurting the muscles around the incisions. So I got an Excalibur fir this season. I figured my boys can use it too ad they both shoot compounds but aren't quite up to poundage for deer yet. I looked at several sets if sticks mainly fir my boys. I think I'm going to go with a bipod rest seems easy to carry and fairly steady.

·
Registered
84 Posts
For the past three years I have been hunting out of a ground blind with a crossbow. I use a Caldwell Deadshot Tripod. Works great and assists with not having to hold the crossbow and with making accurate shots.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts