Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
D32222DD-34BE-4297-A918-0A51A6A366CC.jpeg
A good friend of mine texted me today and told what happened earlier this morning. Dave and his wife Lori have a nonprofit organization called Lori’s Voice. Last week on Fox 17 they did a story on them, they hit the million dollar mark for gifting. Well at 2:47 am today someone crashed in their rural front yard. Dave didn’t wake up but has it on video. The vehicle burned. The police and fire department showed up. Two hours later they found the driver in Dave’s basement bedroom sleeping with his pants off. He has been charged with OWI, resisting arrest and home invasion. My question is had you woke up to this what would have you done? Dave has a concealed carry permit and I am sure had he woke up would have met him with a gun. In this situation I am sure that the defense would argue that he was looking for a place to sleep it off and meant no harm. The garage door was unlocked and there is stairs heading directly to the basement.

·
Premium Member
30,277 Posts
How many times have we read in these threads that members here don't lock their doors, never have and don't need too?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I l
How many times have we read in these threads that members here don't lock their doors, never have and don't need too?
Mine are locked all times. Other than when I am home.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No reason to shoot someone unless they are attacking you or another person.
Dave is the type of person that would definitely ask questions first. He would have to be threatened in a manner that none of us would put up with before he would pull the trigger.

·
Banned
37,197 Posts

Once they enter the home, illegally, doors locked, or not, it is reasonable to assume they are there to do harm.

Once attacked, it is often too late to react.

Being drunk, or drugged, is not a valid excuse for home invasion.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,177 Posts
Several years back an inner city resident working late at his home in GR shot and killed an intruder. He was found justified in doing so. He was later interviewed and was having a hard time dealing with the fact he killed someone.

Point is, unless you are a soldier who has been through that already and hardened enough to deal with it, the average citizen probably is not. Bravado is one thing, reality is another.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe around 10 years ago a GRPD officer was shot and killed next door to my cousins house and she never woke up. She didn’t know about it until the next day. Some people can sleep through anything.

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Several years back an inner city resident working late at his home in GR shot and killed an intruder. He was found justified in doing so. He was later interviewed and was having a hard time dealing with the fact he killed someone.

Point is, unless you are a soldier who has been through that already and hardened enough to deal with it, the average citizen probably is not. Bravado is one thing, reality is another.

I doubt if there are many who want to shoot a home invader. I doubt if there are many who want their homes invaded. I also doubt that there are many who want to see their family members, or themselves, harmed, or killed, by a home invader.

How would you deal with the fact that you allowed your wife to be killed, or other wise harmed, because you made the choice not to shoot?

·
Premium Member
9,642 Posts
Happened years back in Cedar Springs ...guy came up to glass slider out back insisting they let him in and making threatening remarks .Homeowner kept telling him to leave and he wouldn't and kept banging on door... homeowner with kids took him out with shotgun and got off charges .The family of the dead guy were very upset stating he was a good old boy and just drunk and wanted murder charges filed .There are some mean ass drunks out there capable of any thing ...hard to say what you would do unless you were there .

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
I have a solid, wood door, with a dead bolt lock, in between my entrance doors, in the breezeway, and my house.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Happened years back in Cedar Springs ...guy came up to glass slider out back insisting they let him in and making threatening remarks .Homeowner kept telling him to leave and he wouldn't and kept banging on door... homeowner with kids took him out with shotgun and got off charges .The family of the dead guy were very upset stating he was a good old boy and just drunk and wanted murder charges filed .There are some mean ass drunks out there capable of any thing ...hard to say what you would do unless you were there .
I remember that case well.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,177 Posts
I doubt if there are many who want to shoot a home invader. I doubt if there are many who want their homes invaded. I also doubt that there are many who want to see their family members, or themselves, harmed, or killed, by a home invader.

How would you deal with the fact that you allowed your wife to be killed, or other wise harmed, because you made the choice not to shoot?
Just posting a comment.

I have a couple of "placed" weapons in case they are needed. A 12 ga. and a .44 mag which I would hope the sight or sound of readying for fire would be deterrent enough.

No one knows what they'll do until a situation arises, but I can say I'd rather be sorry later than dead beforehand.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts