Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
8,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our perch had a Bump on it's side...It felt like an air bubble. Me being curious I started to clean it and the most horrid clearish yellow fluid that was kinda thick (Like Puss) started ooozning out when the knife hit the bump...ANY CLUEs?????

· Registered
20,099 Posts
I caught one, out at Gino's on Sat. that had something similar to that,, it looked like the cysts' had been "popped" already. These were obviously wounds from another fish, you could actually see the teeth marks, "scraped" along both sides of it. The funny part about it was,,, this fish was almost 13" long. I would have LOVED to see the fish that had a hold of that perch.

· Banned
9,792 Posts
Its probaly a deformed gland coming through on the perch that contains perch milk.:D Take and squeeze it on your fishing lure or bait.The other perch will come in by the droves.
If its not that could be the fish equivalant to acne,like a giant white head.try using clearsel on it and see if it drys out and goes away.
If not it could be genetal warts on the fish.:D

· Registered
5,995 Posts
Not to put down Simcoe and it's great fishery but. That lake doesn't have a flow or turn-over like LSC. All the nasty's just sit at the bottom of that big lake. It has been my past experience that that lake's perch have more parasites and growths on them than on most other lakes. Also I noted any Perch over 10 or 11 inches from that lake have a heavy mud line in them. I'ts not a good thing when you have to "V" out the mud line in your perch.

I have no idea of the sick thing you described. You might give our DNR a call . If you find out let us know.

· Banned
1,819 Posts
Ed . I Beg to differ on the Mud line , on Simcoe perch. I don't have a clue what your talking about. I have fish in my freezer from LSC , Simcoe, and Saginaw bay, and if you can tell one apart from the other you are a better man than I . The perch of simcoe do have about a 5% chance of having a couple white grubs in them. But that is the only parasite that I have seen. I also have not seen one this year that was infested with grubs so bad it had to be thrown out this year, so I take that as a positive. There is also fairly decent turnover in that lake , nowhere near the level of LSC, but decent none the less. Simcoe is part of the Trent -Severn waterway.

· Registered
272 Posts
. . . The hunchback fish of Simcoe.

Maybe you could train it to climb into the tower and ring the bell.

Imaging how the story will have evolved, being told by your grandchildren sitting around the campfire . . .

· Registered
5,995 Posts
Tommy I don't think so . LSC turns over in 3 days or so. That means the water from Lake Huron hits out lake and is in the det river with in a few days. This Swift current does 2 things. First It makes the water as clean as Lk. Huron. (Depending where you fish) and Second unlike Simcoe We have no deep holes for toxins to settle. Every time a storm kicks up the water on LSC all the bad stuff gets mixed in the water and is shot down to lake Erie. This in turn keep our bugs that live on the bottom cleaner! Pluss due to the quick turnover we don't build up merc. like some un-touched pristine lakes do. This is just my take on this subj. Look up the fish eating advisories, St. Clair get good marks esp. on perch.

· Banned
5,164 Posts
ED, you maybe right, Did the mayflie hatches get stronger after the zebra mussels came or is it just my imagination, I noticed even way over by chesterfeild there was alot.:) I beleive when there is alot of bugs and frogs,toads etc. this shows the water quality has something good going for it. I am not real familar with st.claire as you are, I fish at mitchels bay from time to time.

· Banned
1,819 Posts
I agree with you Ed on the lake turnover, but overall Simcoe is pretty clean. And Couchiching even more so. Lsc perch I would say tend to be a little more plump. But this year though I really couldn't tell much difference. I did better on Simcoe more consistantly this year. Last year was the opposit for me . Maybe that is because LSC was so off the wall fabulous last year that I didn't go to Simcoe as much though either. This year for me anyway though them super jumbo's were elusive on the canadian side of LSC. I think by the pics of yours I seen they stayed on the US side.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.