Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was so cold today I just set my tip up in my shanty, it's a homedae design and has an above water reel, any ways, I was fishing a dead smelt about 3 ft below the ice.

I was jigging my other pole when I noticed something bumped the tip up. I watched for a second then nothing. I jigged it a couple tipes and watched for a second and nothing. So I go back to jigging my pole again and about 2 minutes later something bumps it again. So Im like "wth", then it starts jiggling a little then finally it takes the smelt off on a "real slow" run.

I don't know why I didnt wait for it to stop and run again like I usually do, but I grabbed the line, set the hook and came up with an empty hook.:( I was usiang a swedish hook.

Think it was a reaL BIG piKE? I didn't think to even look down there.

I did finish the day with a 20" pike and 1 4" gill :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
we had the same kind of bites on are tip ups the other day. to bad u didnt get to see what was hitting it. could have been a nice fish.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I have had a lot of undersided pike do that. The big ones usually take the minnow down the throat and get hooked. The small ones hit more appresively and tear the bait up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts