Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got a GSP that I am having trouble with keeping weight on does any one have an hints the stuff I normaly use just is not working on him.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I use that purple bag and it puts weight on dogs faster than anything I have found.

If they get really skinny I add some soft dog foo to it and that normally does that trick.

I'm not sure how your kennel is set up but I put some of them on an auto feeder so they can eat when they want.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
You did the right thing with the wormer. Be sure to have a stool sample checked to rule worms out though.

Last summer, one of my boys picked up a stomach bug and would not keep food down and lost a few pounds. I ended up feeding him chicken and rice for a week or so until he started to put some weight back on and regained his appetite. I also added a teaspoon or so of peanut butter a day as an additional source of protein.

To my knowledge, Drs Foster and Smith also have a few other weight gain supplements you could try out.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It's possible he has a tape worm also. They is no test for them and they may or may not show in the stool as pieces that look like rice. And the non-prescrition wormers are not very reliable at removing them. Droncit and Drontal are two of the best tape worm meds and are quite a expensive prescrition drug. I have a couple web sites I order script wormers from Australia for half the price here and no script needed. Heart wormers are about half the cost also.

You may want to feed a performance type food like Pro Plan if you like Purina. It has a more of the needed fat and protein real active or high metabolism dogs. It is more expensive but a much better feed for hunting dogs. There is alot of other good performance feed out there too. I'll feed performance food even to an older dog because it takes less than regular foods and they do so well on it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My vet recomments feeding a cup of cooked pasta or rice with their meals. I have a dog who is trying to die and that is the recommendation he gave me for weight gain. He wants carbs to put on weight, not protein. I also use automatic feeders so quantity is never an issue. FWIW.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Originally posted by brymoore
I have a dog who is trying to die and that is the recommendation he gave me for weight gain. He wants carbs to put on weight, not protein. FWIW.
That's why the a performance feed has higher fat content as well as protein. It will put on weight as well as your Vet's recommendation in my experiance.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I use supplements when I have a hard keeper, during pre-season workouts, on a puppy that might be lagging behind, or on a lactating female.

I use a few different types. (different types for different dogs)

Energy Pak: 21% protein 44% fat (powder form)

Impact: 48% protein 30% fat (powder form)

National's Premium Fat Blend: 40# bucket of fats chosen with low melting points to deliver energy when needed.

Dried Eggs: very high in protein and fat. (powder form)

Power Biscuts: 20% protein 10% fat Great between meal treat. They have twice the nutrient density of normal biscuts.

If anyone would like more information on these products send me a PM with your e-mail address. I sell these products and others along with National Premium Dog Food.

Back Woods

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Originally posted by Robert W. McCoy Jr
But I have feed pro plan and in my opinion it is no bettter than Diamond.

My beagles are highly active and Diamond has always been my choice.
I agree there are other foods as good or better. When I said performance feeds I meant in general, higher content food not necessarly Pro plan. I don't feed Purina myself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts