Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back yesterday from a much needed long weekend in the western UP. Warmer and wetter than normal but over all success.

* Scouted a new spot for the rifle opener near a cedar gully, jumped some deer on a nearby bedding/transition area, thinks its goona be good!​
* Anywho..we know of some "cheeseheads" that hunt about half mile from where I park, I walk in a good mile deeper into my spot. I had to laugh, I"ve never seen so much orange ribbon on trees where they walk in. Looked like a damn Mardi Gras float. Orange tape every 10' or so. Funny thing is that where they hunt isn't that thick. Then notice at least 4 trailcams set up all within just yards of each other. Good Lord!​
* Drive home easy, but once I got to middle of southbound Mac Bridge traffic came to standstill for construction. Yep sitting mid bridge is a bit unnerving. That old girl sways in the wind.​
* Stopped at Jay's in Gaylord, figured the 50 year promotion might be a good thing. Was disappointed.​

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Got back yesterday from a much needed long weekend in the western UP. Warmer and wetter than normal but over all success.

* Scouted a new spot for the rifle opener near a cedar gully, jumped some deer on a nearby bedding/transition area, thinks its goona be good!​
* Anywho..we know of some "cheeseheads" that hunt about half mile from where I park, I walk in a good mile deeper into my spot. I had to laugh, I"ve never seen so much orange ribbon on trees where they walk in. Looked like a damn Mardi Gras float. Orange tape every 10' or so. Funny thing is that where they hunt isn't that thick. Then notice at least 4 trailcams set up all within just yards of each other. Good Lord!​
* Drive home easy, but once I got to middle of southbound Mac Bridge traffic came to standstill for construction. Yep sitting mid bridge is a bit unnerving. That old girl sways in the wind.​
* Stopped at Jay's in Gaylord, figured the 50 year promotion might be a good thing. Was disappointed.​
The really annoying thing about the blaze orange ribbon highways is the fact that most are never taken-down when their hunt ends. You illustrate well why only 1 in 4 gun deer hunters actually shoot a buck... I ran into a MDNR forester during gun season who was on her way in to check a recently concluded timber harvest. I mentioned the nearby tent camp of Wi hunters she would pass on the way in and asked her to note the pile of beer cans and trash next to the tent cluster. I came out to my truck three days later to find her sitting in her vehicle. She had waited for me to thank me. She said she eventually called a CO to their camp who issued over a dozen citations to the group of six hunters. The following year they did not return.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not
The really annoying thing about the blaze orange ribbon highways is the fact that most are never taken-down when their hunt ends. You illustrate well why only 1 in 4 gun deer hunters actually shoot a buck... I ran into a MDNR forester during gun season who was on her way in to check a recently concluded timber harvest. I mentioned the nearby tent camp of Wi hunters she would pass on the way in and asked her to note the pile of beer cans and trash next to the tent cluster. I came out to my truck three days later to find her sitting in her vehicle. She had waited for me to thank me. She said she eventually called a CO to their camp who issued over a dozen citations to the group of six hunters. The following year the did not return.
I failed to mention that they run their quads on the trails during restricted times. Specially when its a marked GEM unit. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
When I lived along the state line in the Yoop. There would always be camps set up from guys from Wisconsin. This one in particular was a problem. They were running ruffshot in a area know as " the grade". They were killing lots of deer and taking them back over the Brule river into Wisconsin. Road hunting was there favorite method. Thankfully our local CO's pinched them.
As for the orange ribbon hwys, yep lots of them . Use to be quad trails leading to huge bait piles until the Feds ended most of that.

·
Registered
526 Posts
When I lived along the state line in the Yoop. There would always be camps set up from guys from Wisconsin. This one in particular was a problem. They were running ruffshot in a area know as " the grade". They were killing lots of deer and taking them back over the Brule river into Wisconsin. Road hunting was there favorite method. Thankfully our local CO's pinched them.
As for the orange ribbon hwys, yep lots of them . Use to be quad trails leading to huge bait piles until the Feds ended most of that.
I think I know that "grade" it that the one that if you crossed the Buel by Pentoga and followed it would actually come out in Caspian? We had a camp in Tipler for many years and knew of guys running back and fourth. Trust me it happened on both sides.

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
I think I know that "grade" it that the one that if you crossed the Buel by Pentoga and followed it would actually come out in Caspian? We had a camp in Tipler for many years and knew of guys running back and fourth. Trust me it happened on both sides.
Yep thats the one. I'm sure it happened both sides lol. Just one of the camps that I knew that got pinched.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Ribbon hghways-remove em whenever you see them. They are just litter.
When somebody tears down a ribbon line on state, federal, or timber company land that was used to designate where a logger is to rough in a road or skid trail it can really throw a monkey wrench into a timber sale. FM

·
Registered
75 Posts

Yes, the cheesehead invasion will begin soon. Really think the cost of Non-Resident deer tags should be doubled in the 906, the cost is so archaic, every tom-dick&harry with $150 bucks invades in search of one of our 300lbrs. They have little respect for our woods, as evidenced by all the trash and gut piles in the parking areas. They shoot buttons like its "wack a mole", and then have the nerve to trash our teams, gun laws, hunting regs, and they hog all the beer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The really annoying thing about the blaze orange ribbon highways is the fact that most are never taken-down when their hunt ends. You illustrate well why only 1 in 4 gun deer hunters actually shoot a buck... I ran into a MDNR forester during gun season who was on her way in to check a recently concluded timber harvest. I mentioned the nearby tent camp of Wi hunters she would pass on the way in and asked her to note the pile of beer cans and trash next to the tent cluster. I came out to my truck three days later to find her sitting in her vehicle. She had waited for me to thank me. She said she eventually called a CO to their camp who issued over a dozen citations to the group of six hunters. The following year they did not return.
Yep, Granpa staked out some cheese heads that left a weeks trash. They got pinched. They actually got arrested. Every year, we talk about this and it never changes. Out of state tags need to be expensive enough to make it sting. And to provide for the OT needed for our law enforcement. Why do people think they can come to the 906, and do whatever they want. The 4 generations that were here before me, were all Law, the stories they told of Mitten Moles and Cheezers coming up just to break the law is mind boggling. You think its bad now, if they put in a damn tunnel, its over. Dad and Granpa tell of how it was before The Mac. Damn, those were the days.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ribbon hghways-remove em whenever you see them. They are just litter.
I agree..to a point. Raised 906, taught they could be someones life line. And if its been snowing, you could kill somebody up here. Just to say, "tear them down", is not 906. Fully agree, 99% of the time its litter. But the 1 ribbon trail you take down, could be the 1 that was truly needed and you just left someone stranded to die.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Most of the logging marks in my area are done with paint so they are much harder to remove.
The paint blazes irritate me too, happened upon some Mitten Moles who were painting blazes in the NW corner of the Hiawatha...Of course found, empty paint cans, beer cans, cig butts and MRE wrappers along the way. Respect for Mitten Moles is slowly eroding to none, in the bush

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yep thats the one. I'm sure it happened both sides lol. Just one of the camps that I knew that got pinched.
I believe one of the camps that got pinched was the large farm that was just on the southside of the Brule on the east side of the road. I know there were a couple different camps back there. We actually hunted along the west side of Leroy creek for 20+ years.

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
I believe one of the camps that got pinched was the large farm that was just on the southside of the Brule on the east side of the road. I know there were a couple different camps back there. We actually hunted along the west side of Leroy creek for 20+ years.
Lots of guys get busted " taking a ride" a!ong the grade . I've seen the COs setup deer decoys,turkey decoys and even grouse decoys. Very effective method.
We hunted a farm on the Wisconsin side once in awhile ( can't think of the name ) but it had a unbelievable amount of deer. Always liked that area for hunting ,very scenic along the river. Use to be hard to access because there use to be gates along it and it was closed for certain parts of the season. But that was along time ago, now its open year round.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts