Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am plan on starting food plots this year and need to work the soil, There are no farmers near me to rent the equipemtn from, so I was looking at buying the Weekend-warrior cultivator for my ATV. Just wondering if anyone has used this or any product like it. thanks
Their web site is www.weekend-warrior.com.

·
Administrator
35,722 Posts
I've often wondered about those gizmos myself. Interested in hearing what people have to say about them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve,
I also put the question on the Hunting.net forum(I think this one is much better) and eightpoint answered.

He said he has used one but on old grassey sod it didn't work so well, also very hard on your 4wheeler. He suggested buying an old tractor w/equipment. Or he mows the area and overseeds the area before a rain, for thick vegetation he sprays with roundup before mowing.

So I think I will look for a tractor and equipment.

If anyone else has experience with the cultivators please respond.

·
Administrator
35,722 Posts
I'm sure its hard on your ATV but since mine is a 15 year old 350 dollar special, I dont really care.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have to agree with yooper, the weekend warrior dose not work well on ground that has not been "worked up" before { you know, the kind of spots most people would want to use it in the first place }. I have been so frustrated by this I am working on a relatively inexpensive plow system that can be attached easily. Let you know if it works out.

DEERSLAYER

[This message has been edited by DEERSLAYER (edited 03-29-2000).]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me know how it turns out, if much better then cultivator and works behind 4 wheeler I would be interested in getting plans or the plow.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with Deerslayer. A cultivator cultivates and what you need to do is to turn over the sod, let it lay fallow until the roots rot (4 to 8 weeks depending on weather) then cultivate, correct soil pH, then sow your seed. Yes, ya gotta be a sodbuster first. You can bust that sod with a plow or with a handspade (real work, but good for the soul). Place an ad in the small weekly papers for someone to plow FOR you. Most folks won't rent their equipment to newbies with no experience. Tractors and plows ain't toys.... have known to be lethal.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LandLady,

thanks for the info, I was thinking of just scratching the surface to plant if you think about it the farmers always plow first, I am going to check with some farmers and see what they say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts