Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first opportunity to launch from Marine City on Saturday. The fog was very thick. I was apprehensive about putting the boat in at all. Visibility was only about 50 feet. But I thought, everyone will be going slow out there until the fog clears, it'll be fine. Boy was I wrong, that was the closest I have every come to being hit by another boat. We idled from the launch to up near the power plant and then trolled back down. As we're coming down the river, two boats passed us at full planing speed, one came within 20 feet of hitting us and then the driver gave me the finger like I was the one going recklessly too fast in the fog. This is about the time there are tears running down my wife's face because she was so afraid. After that we hugged the shore until the fog cleared about 7:30. My boat will never leave the trailer in fog like that again.

After that, we have a nice day on the water and picked up a total of 10 nice fish which we had in the boat by 11:30. After that the bright sunshine took over and we just couldn't get the last 2 fish. We drifted all the way from Marine City until a little before the public launch in Algonac. There were no great concentrations of fish, we caught them here and there throughout that whole stretch.

I know there is another forum for this but while I've already got a post in the works here goes: Sunday we headed for Erie and headed out from Toledo Beach at the crack of 10:00 AM. We had 8 fish in the boat by Noon when we headed in just ahead of a thunderstorm. He had just snapped down the top when the sky opened up. The fish were biting pretty good, we had one legitimate triple header pulling wiggle warts off planer boards.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
We were up in St. Clair Saturday mornng and had the thick fog too. Much to my delight everyone was pretty smart about it.
Brian

TIMfromTroy said:
I had my first opportunity to launch from Marine City on Saturday. The fog was very thick. I was apprehensive about putting the boat in at all. Visibility was only about 50 feet. But I thought, everyone will be going slow out there until the fog clears, it'll be fine. Boy was I wrong, that was the closest I have every come to being hit by another boat. We idled from the launch to up near the power plant and then trolled back down. As we're coming down the river, two boats passed us at full planing speed, one came within 20 feet of hitting us and then the driver gave me the finger like I was the one going recklessly too fast in the fog. This is about the time there are tears running down my wife's face because she was so afraid. After that we hugged the shore until the fog cleared about 7:30. My boat will never leave the trailer in fog like that again.

After that, we have a nice day on the water and picked up a total of 10 nice fish which we had in the boat by 11:30. After that the bright sunshine took over and we just couldn't get the last 2 fish. We drifted all the way from Marine City until a little before the public launch in Algonac. There were no great concentrations of fish, we caught them here and there throughout that whole stretch.

I know there is another forum for this but while I've already got a post in the works here goes: Sunday we headed for Erie and headed out from Toledo Beach at the crack of 10:00 AM. We had 8 fish in the boat by Noon when we headed in just ahead of a thunderstorm. He had just snapped down the top when the sky opened up. The fish were biting pretty good, we had one legitimate triple header pulling wiggle warts off planer boards.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
Tim I am really sorry to hear your wife got that scared out there but people can be pretty stupid on the river.. I have been stuck in the fog twice in 20 years of fishing the river and it not any fun being out there in those conditions.. One of the two times I got stuck out there I was really scared because I could not see past the bow of my boat and I did not have all my electronics set on this new boat I just got, so it even made it that much worse.. So be careful out there because other people are pretty reckless and it only takes one person to be reckless and get some one hurt.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Radiohead -- I agree with you, I don't want want to make it sound like it was a madhouse on the river, virtually every boat we saw was going slow and being careful, it was just those 2 boats that were going too fast.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I can deal with most winds and the cold doesn't bother me, but fog sucks! Good to hear you're safe and caught fish.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
We fished the river from the marine city launch. the fog was bad we motored to the power plant and trolled down stream to the salt dock light. We boated 4 nice eyes,one very small musky about 21/2 inches and one 20 inch sucker all on crawlers and harness's. We did see a few guys acting like fools in the fog.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Fog is no joke out on the river. I had a similar experience this spring. I couldn't see past the bow and everything in front of me was green and red from the nav lights. I can't believe I heard boats planing by me way too close. I only need one night like that to make me never want to be out in the fog again. I want to live to fish another day! Glad to hear you are alright.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts