Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up for our annual salmon trip this weekend with two of my buddies. Fished upper middle portion of the river. Caught fish on thundersticks and hot n tots. I think we ended up landing 9 fish between 3 of us out of twice that many hook ups. Couldnt believe the amount of fish in the system. The best ive seen in a long time! Was a great trip. Caught some real nice fish! Including one that we estimated at 25 lbs. Gold hot n tots with a pink belly outproduced all. Gold was definetly the hot color! Hot n tots were the ticket on bedding fish, thundersticks in the holes. I'll get some pics up tonight!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can't say as I've ever seen bedded fish focus on anything but bedding. Please describe the takes. What other colors did you try?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The fish on the deeper gravel runs 3-6 fow were chasing all the other fish off the redd. We were swinging the hot n tot in front of them and they would come right up and eat it! my buddy hooked a 25 lb plus fish that way about 8 feet from me. He came up and missed the first themn hit it the second time. watched him engulf the bait. He then proceeded to fight that fish for 20 minutes before it got in some wood and let loose. Seemed it had to be a hotntot in the gravel. They would move right out of the way with a thunderstick. Hotntot didnt even spook them and alot of them ate it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The PM has produced an awesome year for salmon for me also.. it had a great run this year and we have had a lot of fun... we caught some fish on hot and tots but most of the fish we caught by either a blood sucking leach or a guady purple and blue marabou fly we had fun it was definately worth the trip

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cool. I've had good luck with natural color shallow shad raps such as perch or shad in that kind of water, but never near fish tending a female. It sounded like you were casting to beds, which was what confused me. I've also taken fish swinging big leeches in the deeper water below gravel. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I love doing that with hot-n-tots! The males that are guarding a bed with a female on it are always agressive. It's definately quite a rush when they come up behind it and crush it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick instruction on how to use a thunderstick and hotntot? what is the correct set up? what pound line do you use?.....i would love to change it up a little.
thanks

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use my 9' fenwick med action with 14 lb. test. Just cast across the river to the far bank sightly down stream. If the current is fast enough you can just let the bait dive and swing across to the near bank. If you want to get deeper give it a few cranks to get it down. You may have to real slowly in slower water to get the right wobble. swing the bait in front of the fish. Start at the top of the hole and work down. Keep covering new water. If the fish are really moving in and out of the hole you can concentrate on one hole. Otherwise, keep moving to find fish willing to bite.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts