Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told you guys i would get back after the weekend and let you know how i did with my centerpin. Your guys advice was very helpful and much appreciated. I stuck with the 12 pound siglon and 8 pound seagar floro combo. Took on the Mo friday night and went 1 for 1. It wasnt a large fish but well worth the battle. Saturday we got up early and headed back to the Mo again and I went 2 for 2. We only fished for a few hours since the winds got very nasty. First fish was just a skippy but the second was a fresh chromer hen that went very acrobatic. Got to love it. Then on sunday me and the girl friend went out to my favorite stretch on a smaller west michigan river and ended up going 0 for 8. It was raining hard and we watched the water rise literally before our eyes. I stuck with my pin rod the whole time, but i wanted her to land a fish so i hooked 2 with my level wind and unfortunatley they both pulled loose. At least she was able to get the sensation of fighting one. Shes HOOKED!! I guess the only thing im having trouble with is managing how much pressure to hold on a fish since the drag is all done by hand. The fish that i hooked in the smaller river all tried to make long runs down or up stream and headed for brush. I believe i applied too much pressure since one of my lines broke completely. That never has happened with my line combos. They were all very large fish and very active. I dont know how to post pictures but i will try. Thaks everyone.

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Nice pic's, it's hard not to have a great time when with a good partner and catching fish.

D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My rod is the 13ft shimano clarus. Its a 4 piece but I break it down in half so I act as if its a 2 piece.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The Clarus has a good amount of give to it. It probably is just you being able to give it the proper amount of tension. That's what it's all about!

Beef up your mainline and leader if you're having a tough time. Go to 20 pound main with 15pound lead. Or somewhere in between. Heavier line and heavier weight is easier in the beginning also. It doesn't make as many kinks when bad casts are made.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
nice job on the fish!

my only thoughts are on which way the line is spooled on the spool. does the line come off the top were the reel foot is or at the bottom opposite the reel foot? for some reason i think the line should come off at the bottom of the reel opposite the reel foot. this way you got more room for palming the spool. if this is correct no need to change it cause it's right. also palming does not have to be done with the palm of your hand you can use your index finger to do it at the bottom of the spool. for lighter pressure could also get some cheap leather gloves and cut the index finger off and use just the index finger to break the fish lightly. just remember these fish get big as you know this is why i suggest a stripping glove of some sort so burns don't occur on your fingers or palms...

by the way the direction the line comes off the spool can effect the ability on how easy the fish is to fight.

i know you know how to set your drag but got to remember you only using a few ounces to a couple pounds which is all able to be done with a finger. if i remember right i only set the drag at about 20% of the break strength off the reel with a spring scale. if you need it 8 pound test is only like 1 pound 6 ounces of drag and is multiplied out of the rod tip threw guide friction to about 6 or 7 pounds. that is how they do it for salt water fishing. i just give the line a tug off the reel a couple times just like every one else to see if it to tight. then when i get a fish i adjust from there to the correct pressure.. most of the time i palm the to aid the drags ability to land fish. but no drag is the hard part to do it all by your self is going to be tough.

but ya i hear you it is hard to learn new thing any ways best of luck...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the whole set up rigged right. I just am having a tough time applying the right pressure. It will come eventually. Losing a fish or 10 in a day is no big thing. I'm just so used to my level wind that this is taking a bit to get used to. But I can tell already I'm getting better. I did land 5 fish already with it. Thank you all for the pointers. I might be changing to heavier line though because the fish are so big this year.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I have the whole set up rigged right. I just am having a tough time applying the right pressure. It will come eventually. Losing a fish or 10 in a day is no big thing. I'm just so used to my level wind that this is taking a bit to get used to. But I can tell already I'm getting better. I did land 5 fish already with it. Thank you all for the pointers. I might be changing to heavier line though because the fish are so big this year.

i figured you did just making sure it was set up right. it does take time getting use to doing your right. by the way are you using your palm to palm it or your finger some time you can over apply with your palm is why i said to use your index fingers. less surface area compared to a palm.. also if the fish don't mind the heavier line then use it. ya we noticed this fall they were fairly large for kings. i am thinking steel head are the same way now that you said it. this is cause of the increased bait pop's on the west side of the state is what letting them get their feed bag on. glad to see you enjoying your self any ways best of luck...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My rod is the 13ft shimano clarus. Its a 4 piece but I break it down in half so I act as if its a 2 piece.
Hey GC, I just got my Shimano Clarus in the mail last night and have yet to cast a centerpin setup. How do you like that rod so far? And any casting tips? No open water around here but was thinking about getting some practice casts in off the dock onto the ice.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a hard time landing big fish on my pin in any small river. The challenge is what makes it so much fun though. I like to stick with my spinning setup on smaller rivers and my pin is the way to go on the big rivers. One thing that might help is using your ring finger or middle finger to put pressure on the inside rim of the spool for drag. That's what I do :) Instead of palming. I run Sig 12 down to 8 pline flouro. Best of luck in your pinning adventures!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The next time you hook a fish turn your clicker on. It adds the perfect amount of pressure, plus it sounds awesome when those fish go on a run!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
It took me a few good whoopings from fish before I figured out how to fight fish with my pin. It is a blast! I love the challenge of centerpin fishing. (No clicker)

Sent from my C771 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey GC, I just got my Shimano Clarus in the mail last night and have yet to cast a centerpin setup. How do you like that rod so far? And any casting tips? No open water around here but was thinking about getting some practice casts in off the dock onto the ice.
Yeah swamp i love the rod. Its a noodle thats for sure but you can apply all the pressure you need with no problem. It is a blast to fight a fish with because of the play in the action and you can feel every shake and run they do, real cool. You are going to love it. Casting took me a while because i am new to the pin this year but your best bet is to go on youtube and type in how to cast a centerpin and just watch some of the videos that are on there. But, practice is your best bet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts