Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out Saturday for about an hour, heat wasn't working in the cabin, so I had to hurry as the wife and kid were waiting for us. ;) Skyler was working good and we found two grouse, but they were flushing well out of range. Snow in the Clare area is just about an inch, so snow was not a problem. . .water was, but won't be next time out with the temps.

On Sunday, we put out 28 chuckar and 2 pheasants. . .we split into two groups. Some of the chuckar were running and Sky was doing a great job tracking and it was fun to watch her work them and then lock up. Ally (the V) was also doing well and they were both working well together. . .oh yeah, and when two dogs lock up and you can't see the bird even after kicking the ground all over the place and the dogs don't move, TRUST THE DOGS!! :lol:

Oh yeah, Jeff (VHD). . .there was a wirehaired V with the other group from Scott C. . . he might be having another breeding from the same pair sometime. I think parents of his two are both from overseas. (Hungary and Chec Rep I think) Nice looking dog at 10 months.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Looks like you had a great weekend. Hopefully you got the heat fixed. I had lots of fun hanging out with the girls this weekend, getting ready for the Holidays.

Thanks for the tip on the WHV. I'll have to get in touch with him now to find out who he is working with.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vizsla Hunt Dog said:
Looks like you had a great weekend. Hopefully you got the heat fixed. I had lots of fun hanging out with the girls this weekend, getting ready for the Holidays.

Thanks for the tip on the WHV. I'll have to get in touch with him now to find out who he is working with.
I also know that he likes to keep one around the area to see how it is progressing. I guess this is the only one left in MI from what the guy said and a lot of them are out west in MT/CA etc.

If you want to watch it sometime, I am sure the guy wouldn't mind coming back out for a hunt.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
omega58 said:
I also know that he likes to keep one around the area to see how it is progressing. I guess this is the only one left in MI from what the guy said and a lot of them are out west in MT/CA etc.

If you want to watch it sometime, I am sure the guy wouldn't mind coming back out for a hunt.

I saw one a few years ago (WHV), a local trainer had imported him! It's been 3 or 4 years...don't know if he still has it! I think you will find....if you look, there are always more(most of the time)....I found that with the wachtelhunds! Great pictures! :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
We hunted in, or I guess you call just ran in Barry and Kent counties this weekend. The boys had fun running, and I had fun watching. Maybe we will have some luck in the UP this weekend.

·
Registered
659 Posts
omega58 said:

Val Potter has a male from Scott. He was 7 weeks old around the time grouse season opened. Jeff knows Val so another opportunity to see one of his dogs work. I have to admit a little interest myself. Scott believes hunters who own vizslas will really like a whv. I will have to see for myself this spring.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Double Gun said:
Val Potter has a male from Scott. He was 7 weeks old around the time grouse season opened. Jeff knows Val so another opportunity to see one of his dogs work. I have to admit a little interest myself. Scott believes hunters who own vizslas will really like a whv. I will have to see for myself this spring.
Scott may have a couple different ones then, I am not sure? This one that was there is 10 months. Not much different looking than a V right now, it was just getting the wirehair on the back and a little on the face just coming in now.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Sounds like a great time Randy. Almost gave you a buzz Friday night, certainly wish I would have now!

WHV- certainly would like to see one go... Physically I like the ones with just a little wired muzzle versus that of the shag dogs.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Nice pic! Looks like a great weekend to me. Good news that the snow in that area isnt to deep. Places to hunt are becoming limited.
Ric

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Two dogs on point: that's an image I never tire of...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts