Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, week two on the waterline produced four more nice rats! started out with one on tuesday and then none on wedsnday and thurs. So thursday i moved 'em around a bit and got three more rats on friday. No coons or canines yet...still in the works.

The rat on the far left is the largest one of the year so far at 23"

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just thought i'd show a few of my water sets to give an idea of what i'm working with. So far i'm only using 110 conaber in blind sets put in their major run-ways

The rats really seem to like to eat the green vegetation around this set

another one....sorry about the quality on these

And my trap-checking mobiles...a '99 blazer and a EZ-GO golf cart(gas of course)

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Way to go hoytshooter4!

You have some very nice looking muskrats and they definitely should bring a good price. They should all grade out as large winter rats!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I am very pleased with how the rats are looking this year. With the unseasonably warm winters in past years that weren't doing as well in my area but they seem to be back in full force.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
What do you do with the rats once you've trapped them? Do you sell the fur? How much do you get for a nice one?

I have never trapped before, but reading this forum sure is peaking my interest.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dtrain,
Yes i sell the fur to a local buyer who brings them to auction for me. I hope you decide to take up trapping--it can be a very exciting and isn't very hard to get started. I started when i was 12 with a dozen old 110 conaber traps my dad had from his trapping days and have been doin it ever since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts