Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to post this after all the bad reports I read. We started at out of Bolles and kept going east. Or first stop in dirty water marked a large school of fish. We got four there. I moved to the gravel pit and picked up another three. Water was cleaner, less fish marked.

I then deciced to find clean water so east I went again. Stopping short of West Sister I sat down and set out our four rods. We found the fish in 27 foot and only had a few boats around. However I did no see many other walleyes being caught by them.

Around 1:30 pm We placed the 30th walleye into the live well and called it a day. All were great sized wallayes with the biggest being a little over 4 pounds. When we quit the best we had heard from other was 14 in the box. Radio chatter siad it was the slowest day in long time.

What made the day so special besides was the fact I had a couple in from Colorado and their Uncle from Lansing in town. They all had a blast.

Program: I ran two jet 20's of the corner and two #1 dipsey's. One of each side. Blueberry Muffin with a silver back ended up an all four rods. I never set out the planers or outriggers. Had a few doubles and a couple close triples on walleyes. More then once we never had a rod in the water.

Oh and one other note Silver Streak JR's.

Skinner

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Great job on the fish Skinner. I had a slow day yesterday out of Sterling. Only landed 1, long lining. Got to love showing out-of-towners a great day on the water!

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Thanks for the report. Looks like a long boat ride might be in store for saturday morning. Is there any rhyme or reason to where you put down. Was it strictly the water color, were you marking fish,temp, a depth that had produced in the past? The few times I've fished Erie it's been drive out to about 20-24 fow and start reeling in fish after fish. Never had to search or work for them.

Thanks for the help!:fish:

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tgafish said:
Thanks for the report. Looks like a long boat ride might be in store for saturday morning. Is there any rhyme or reason to where you put down. Was it strictly the water color, were you marking fish,temp, a depth that had produced in the past? The few times I've fished Erie it's been drive out to about 20-24 fow and start reeling in fish after fish. Never had to search or work for them.

Thanks for the help!:fish:
TGA,
I ran out of two schools of fish the did not want to play. I was marking them but not able to get them to go and neither was anyone around me. West end of erie is pretty flat and does not have a lot of structure on our end. Ohio islands yea but not here.

I myself don't worry about packs of boats and like to stay out of them. The walleyes are all over and many people are just too lazy to look on their own.

I look for a clean surface for trolling so I don't have to clean weeds every two minutes. Second I want clean water this time of year. 3 to 4 foor visiability.
I get these two and start my search. Run set ups at differant depths and watch the screen. When rods start to go pay attention to what and where, set the non-producers up to match.

With the fronts I knew the fishing would be hit and miss, BUT I had to find and make it pay off. I was not taking any chances so I took my mast and planers. I have not had them on the boat in 4 years. I do not run in-line boards. I normally leave the down riggers at home unless looking for salmon/steelhead.

I do however run 15 foot outriggers for a wider pattern when pulling cranks. I have not ran more then 4 rods in years no matter how many are one board. AS you can see I keep it simple.

My first mate (aka Father) is 79 almost 80. I keep it simple for him too. We normally get our fish this way. I'm not trying to brag or sound modest or whatever. Some people to me just complicate things.

Back to the question. Decide on where you want to go, Find the water you want. Set up your pass. IE for searching I like a down hill troll, ( 90%(ok thats a guess but close) of all fish come this way too) makes boat control a lot easier. Zigzag till you find them. Find em punch in the spot and work it over.

DON'T be affraid to change what you doing if one is not working.

BTY I never really save way point beyond a week. so as far as exact spot as before nope but general areas.

Skinner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts