Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched from Harley Ensign (S River) for a later afternoon/evening outing, and man it was a clown show, what with rush traffic, having forgotten to set up some things, then finding out the motor I just got back for the shop had its throttle misaligned as attempted to start it. But I got enough buttoned up, fixed that, and went on with things.

After having read the report of top-water white bass action, first thing was to see if that was still on, but I didn’t find ‘em, so I switched gears and went mainly for toothies, hedging my bets with large, medium, and smallish lures. The water was about 3ft deeper than usual, very cool for this time of year (mid to upper 60s), and clear. Also rather choppy from boat traffic. Only got one definite strike – but I’ll take it. On the way out just as i was dialing in the waypoints to hit, this 46.5 inch musky hit the big (9 inch) lure, not very far from the river. Ran the lure at about 3.4mph, about 60ft back, with no weight. Further back than usual on account of the greater than usual depth in the area (~14FOW).

Water Fin Fluid Fish Liquid

Water Sky Cloud Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Shorts

I switched to bigger lures and carpet-bombed the general area, but no more takers.x The sunset and clouds were beautiful.

Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Afterglow

Water Sky Cloud Water resources Atmosphere

Ended up the evening casting some top-waters after things calmed down, but nothing doing with them, either. Was pleased at the performance of the Swedish Ambassadeur 6600C, which I decided upon as a budget-friendly musky casting reel, and which had only one significant bird’s nest casting in darkness, as well as having brought in the ‘ski doing trolling duty earlier.

I think the high water will be good for trolling without planers, enabling running the lures further away from the boat to get to working depth when the fish are down in the weeds and not on the hunt. On the other hand, the shallower running suspending lures that have done well might not be as effective when the fish aren’t chasing baitfish around.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd put that middle picture on my wall !
The top sunset picture? I got many other pics. Here are a few more of the sunset and clouds, including some high clouds from which snow was falling that evaporated in the air:

Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Water resources

Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Fluid

Water Cloud Sky Water resources Atmosphere

Cloud Water Sky Atmosphere Liquid

1 - 5 of 5 Posts