Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
F67BBED2-E22C-4AD3-81EB-DBE092C2DDBC.jpeg
I saw this one yesterday at a local gun store. I tried to put it back on the rack three times but my hands jus wouldn’t let go of it. LOL.

The barrel is 26”, with a brake, fluted and Cerakoted. It’s a very light gun. It has a composite stock with a First Lite camo design. It would be a great out west gun for deer or antelope. I can’t wait to sight it in.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
View attachment 451065 I saw this one yesterday at a local gun store. I tried to put it back on the rack three times but my hands jus wouldn’t let go of it. LOL.

The barrel is 26”, with a brake, fluted and Cerakoted. It’s a very light gun. It has a composite stock with a First Lite camo design. It would be a great out west gun for deer or antelope. I can’t wait to sight it in.

Nice looking rifle, I own a Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA in 308, it is a pleasure to shoot, and has become my go to rifle.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Nice! Is that the 6-lug or the 9-lug bolt? The harmonics of that pencil thin barrel can drive you nuts until you find a load chain that it likes though.

You will discover that rifle is very picky to action screw torque. If you don't own an in-lb torque wrench, consider buying one. The screws both get 55 in-lb (assuming the stock is composite), and seesaw them up to that number instead of going right to 55.

What kind of stock is on it, and how is the action bedded? The thin barrels (I think Weatherby calls yours a #1 contour) like a pressure point against the forearm of the stock. Free floating will actually wreck the accuracy here. If the stock isn't really rigid (i.e. like an aluminum insert), you may find yourself cursing the accuracy as the stock won't be able to provide enough stiffness to tame the whippy barrel.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Nice! Is that the 6-lug or the 9-lug bolt? The harmonics of that pencil thin barrel can drive you nuts until you find a load chain that it likes though.

You will discover that rifle is very picky to action screw torque. If you don't own an in-lb torque wrench, consider buying one. The screws both get 55 in-lb (assuming the stock is composite), and seesaw them up to that number instead of going right to 55.

What kind of stock is on it, and how is the action bedded? The thin barrels (I think Weatherby calls yours a #1 contour) like a pressure point against the forearm of the stock. Free floating will actually wreck the accuracy here. If the stock isn't really rigid (i.e. like an aluminum insert), you may find yourself cursing the accuracy as the stock won't be able to provide enough stiffness to tame the whippy barrel.
Hmm. I own a few, thanks for the advice. I was going to bring up the triggers on those vanguards and suggest an aftermarket. I was not a fan of any of the three I have. I went with timney drop ins on all and am happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'm sure it's not the 9-lug. I have that on my Weatherby V Accumark in .257 Wby Mag.

I do have a torque wrench already. I will check out the action screw torque.

Composite stock, I'm sure the bedding has not been touched from the factory.

I believe the barrels is a #2, not the #1.

Thank you for your input. We'll see how it shoots.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I know it's a #2 barrel. Not completely sure but I believe all Weatherby magnums are 9 lug. Open your bolt and you can tell. Curious if my impression is correct.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I know it's a #2 barrel. Not completely sure but I believe all Weatherby magnums are 9 lug. Open your bolt and you can tell. Curious if my impression is correct.
Mark V actions are 9 lug for Magnums and 6 lug for standard cartridges.
Vanguards are standard 2 lug, Remington style.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Love the .257wby! I had a Vanguard Sport that was needing accurizing. When the process was finished it shot 100gr NBT’s like light’s out. Took an 8pt at 405yds, heart shot. The .257wby is a hotrod. Similar to a Ferrari it needs special attention to bore.

You’ll love it. Amazing round.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts