Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were ready for honker season to open back up in that I had been watching some huge flights along with a few snows mixed in.

That storm on Thurs. and Fri. froze up the roosts and they all vanished.

We managed to get 4 on Sun. am and saw a lot but we were not hunting our usual spot.

We had to hit one of our secret spots to make it happen.

Hopefully now that the weather broke they will be back by this weekend.

Anyone have any luck on geese last weekend I have not seen any posts. (Kevlar, Branta??)

·
Registered
167 Posts
We killed our 6 on Friday, but they didn't start flying until 10-11:00. They were real smart geese too, LOL! :lol:

Big birds!:D
Shot one with a white ring around its neck like a mallard has? It was where the black neck meets the chest, never seen one like that before. It also had white spots above each eye. Anyone seen this before?

·
Registered
774 Posts
we duck hunted an open spot on the river over here (one of the few open water spots), and i saw a very surprisingly lack of geese. supposed to get cold again by the end of the week, hopefully some more will be around..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Crazydrakes,

You probably shot an Aleutian Goose. It is a sub-species.

Check out the link:

Aleutian Canada Goose

Ken Martin

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Idylmoments and myself limited out quickly on Thursday. Several hundred birds on the roost. Went back on Friday and the roost was frozen with maybe 30 birds in a little hole in the ice.

Hopefully things will improve for the comming weekend.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Crazyducks
Branta (i think) posted some pics of Canada giants. Its very common to see white rings around the neck and white patches around the eyes and on top of the head. Its just a variation within the species.

More than likely not an aluetian as they are found exclusively on the west coast. They are a very small bird. I also think they are protected. Only ones i have seen are in captivity.

The roost down here is holding many birds. They didnt even fly until Monday. Might not even get a chance to chase them until late season. Few if any mallards around.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ken,

That is exactly what it looked like, it was smaller of the six we shot, but it had bigger bill then the picture. Maybe I should've got it mounted? Oh well. Thanks for the info.

crazydrakes

·
Registered
937 Posts
Shot a limit on Friday, but not alot flying and the ones we got didn't fly until 10 am.

Was on the X this morning. 8 were taken out of the field and could of easily shot more if we had more guys. Saw a few snows mixed in with a flock of Canadas, but that flock wouldn't come in. . . figures.

A lot more geese flying the last few days than there were last Thurs - Fri-Sat.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Went out to a field on sunday holding about 500+ geese this weekend and did pretty well.... didnt have enough decs to pull down any of those huge flights

·
Registered
485 Posts
they must of moved North, cause i saw more birds today than I saw during the Oct hunts. For awhile I thought i was in the refuge zone at FP.
purdy dang sweet.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
crazydrakes said:
Ken,

That is exactly what it looked like, it was smaller of the six we shot, but it had bigger bill then the picture. Maybe I should've got it mounted? Oh well. Thanks for the info.

crazydrakes
Crazy - it's probably just a small(er) Maxima. as Wavie said, the aleut is an extreme pacific flyway bird and disctinct pop that migrates to /from breeding and wintering areas in mass migration (willamette valley). the aleutian is as small as a cackler (or about the size of a mallard) and your comment about "eye brows" leads me to believe it's just a local. it's not that uncommon to see rings, "brows" and white crowns on maximas.

doesn't matter though... nice going! :p

checking in remotely from PEI Canada. Tomorrow, we have a salt marsh black duck shoot lined up and I found a nice little point that has a number of squaws trading by. think I"ll introduce them to a load of #3 steel on thursday!

·
Registered
683 Posts
We killed an Aleutian in Extreme Northern Michigan (houghton) a few years back. He was one out of a flock of cacklers we wiped out. The local we hunted with thought it was how you could tell the males/females apart:)

He said he has killed 'em before up there.

Had the CO check it out and he also concluded it was an Aleutian. But VERY VERY rare.

·
Registered
485 Posts
bullrush. "you had the CO check it out" :lol: Not laughing at you, but a good portion of our CO's and their waterfowl ID is a joke. Especially an extremely rare bird that nests in an extremely small area in Alaska and Primarily winters along an extremely small area along the Oregon/California border within a 5 mile strip of the Pacific Ocean.

Not syaing it wasnt an Aleutian, but...............

·
Registered
11,636 Posts
sprigdog said:
bullrush. "you had the CO check it out" :lol: Not laughing at you, but a good portion of our CO's and their waterfowl ID is a joke. Especially an extremely rare bird that nests in an extremely small area in Alaska and Primarily winters along an extremely small area along the Oregon/California border within a 5 mile strip of the Pacific Ocean.

Not syaing it wasnt an Aleutian, but...............
hehe, remember the time the CO tried to write me ticket for shooting 3 wood ducks........He thought the 3rd duck (hooded sawbill) was a woodduck...i had to get my camera out and ask him to hold up my "illegal" ducks. For some reason he refused and when he came back from his truck I didn't get a ticket. Most CO's i've been checked by don't have all that great bird ID. :(

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Shiawassee_Kid said:
...Most CO's i've been checked by don't have all that great bird ID. :(
When I was really active in DU a few years ago, I had this conversation with Alan Marble who is now head of Law Enforcement for the DNR. They recognized this problem, and invited us to participate in a training session in late summer for DNR staff and CO's. Specifically, they wanted help in learning duck ID. The sad fact is that the CO's are stretched way too thin, and it's only gotten worse in the last 10 years with continuing budget cuts. The poor CO in the field has so many things to be responsible for that they just can't be experts in everything. And waterfowl is a prime example of how complicated their jobs can be. To expect them to be proficient in all game related issues like duck and fish ID, deer regs, trapping, etc. as well as all of the other things like snowmobiling, boating, etc, etc, is not realistic.

This is one area where the organizations like MDHA, DU, etc. can really be an effective partner with the DNR and be more involved by volunteering to help them learn.

·
Registered
167 Posts
We got checked by a lady CO when we had our limit of Woodies and she asked us " those are pretty, what kind are they?"

She seemed serious that she had no clue what they were.:confused:

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
crazydrakes said:
We got checked by a lady CO when we had our limit of Woodies and she asked us " those are pretty, what kind are they?"

Yep....as I said, they don't, and they'll admit it.

·
Registered
11,636 Posts
crazydrakes said:

nah, she more than likely was testing you out. :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts