Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,

Pretty new to the sport of Varmint 'hunting', although I have trapped for a couple of years now. Last summer I put a decent chunk of money into a new shotgun- http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347731

I was/am completley in love with my H&R Ultra Slug Hunter, so I decided to buy a H&R Ultra Varmint Rifle to accompany it within my safe. Unlike before I have a little bit better understanding of optics and have dressed the firearm myself.

Here's my setup:
H&R UVR .223 24" Bull Barrel w/Cinnamon Lam T-Hole Stock.
Nikon 3-9x40 Coyote Special Scope Matte w/ARD.

Sexy right? Not trying to boast, sorry - but I get excited everytime I see it sitting there. I've used the nato 5.56 for 7 years now in the Army - however my extent of knowledge on Rifle Cartridges STOPS right there.

I would like to shoot Hornady, but am open to suggestions. I shoot Hornady 300gr 12g SST's from my USH and had great success this past deer season with them...however, I know rifle hunting and shotgun hunting is nearly night and day (even though the USH would make you think otherwise :))

I want to shoot 300 meters, I have no inclination to shoot farther than that, nor need a bullet that will drop something outside of that range. This .223 was my Valentines day gift to myself, my birthday gift (a few months away) will be the H&R UHR in .308 :)....can't get enough of those single shots. (not married yet, if you cant tell :D)

So thats my question - I want a round, that produces minimal damage (if possible), but is effective from 0-300 meters. Grain Size, Manufactor..the works..

Thanks for your attention in the post, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Good choice, I've got an UV in .223 also. Mine is a genuine .5 MOA rifle, those guns have quite a reputation for accuracy. Mine has a 1:12" twist and absolutely loves the Winchester 45gr JHP varmint loads. They're cheap enough that I never bothered to get dies for this caliber.

If your UV is a newer gun, it will probably have the 1:9" twist and prefer a little heavier bullet. You're probably best to start your shopping with the 55gr rounds and maybe move up a little more if you can't find one that works for you. I've hear good things about the Black Hills 55gr. ammo.

Enjoy your rifle, I expect you'll be happy with it for a long time.

CB

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CB, you know, I'm not exactley sure what the twist is. The Rifle is in UPS transit, ordered her into Bob's in Hastings (where I buy everything) they ordered it from their distributor, I can only imagine is it a newer off the product line - the T-Hole stock is a newer addition, but that could potentially have nothing to do with the barrel system.

I have read and read on how accurate the rifle is, with no exp of my own with it I can only hope - yet, i know how accurate my USH shotgun is, and if they compliment eachother at all...well then i know it will be a dandy...

55gr you say eh? what kind of mess will that leave at 150 meters and closer vs 150 meters and farther?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Don't worry too much about the hide right now, just get out there and get some hunting in. There are only a few rounds that are known for being almost a sure thing for not exiting (17 Rem for example). Some of your shots will, most probably won't. Just pick the best shooting JHP or JSP that shoots in your rifle and you'll be fine. 223 won't ruin your pelt even on the blow throughs, it's a handy round.

Twist just means the rate of the rifling in the barrel. A slower twist (like mine) is better for faster/lighter bullets. A faster twist (like yours) is better with slower/heavier bullets. Your 1:9 (1 complete bullet revolution every 9 inches) is probably ideal for the variety of bullets on the market today. You can even move up to some pretty heavy ones if so inclined for larger game.

CB

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
You cannot go wrong with Hornady. They are the best cartridge by far.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
That scope is set up for the ballistic coefficient of a 55 grain bullet, so I wouldn't stray too far from that particular weight. I like the scope, but prefer a 50 grain v-max (in 22-250,) so I'll stick with standard cross hairs :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.