Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 questions, any idea on when the corn will be coming down around waterloo. And has anyone else's luck been as short as mine out there, yet to see a tail in 4 sits

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hunted there 2 weekends ago. My buddy killed a 6 point and I shot two does. Seen lots of deer. Just got to find the spots no one goes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
510 Posts
corn varies yr to yr and with the farmer! just have to watch close to where u hunt. simetimes up past gun!

ehd put a hurt on the herd, way less sign than usual! 6 sits no deer here!!

Sent from my C771 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
204 Posts
EHD put a big hurting on some of the spots we hunt out there.. None of us are taking any does for a while.. I found 18 dead out there last year in one small area. There's deer, but nothing like it used to be. The deer population has been reduced by design. EHD just made it worse. We would usually see 30 to 40 deer in the fields back and forth from camp in the morning and after the evening hunt. Now we're lucky to see 3 deer in a weekend on those same drives. Our crew has been hunting Waterloo exclusively for 15 years, and this is the worst its ever been. If its wet, I've seen corn up through gun season. But more and more should start coming down the next few weeks

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I'm not going to agree with ehd being that drastic out there. I have a summer house on portage lake. And it wasn't uncommon to see 40 deer in every bean field this summer. Just like years past. However, how about if nobody's seeing deer out there, let's not deer hunt it at all. Everyone spread out, get your traps and varmit guns. Because I called in more yotes out there last winter than I ever have anywhere else. Not even a good spot to shoot rabbits anymore.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hunted there 2 weekends ago. My buddy killed a 6 point and I shot two does. Seen lots of deer. Just got to find the spots no one goes.

Well I'm not dumb enough to ask you where your hunting, but any suggestions on your habitat strategies? I have been sitting on an oak ridge above a swamp that is surrounded by corn fields. I have only seen one other stand within a half mile of where I'm sitting. I've got food water thick cover... What am I missing

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Well I'm not dumb enough to ask you where your hunting, but any suggestions on your habitat strategies? I have been sitting on an oak ridge above a swamp that is surrounded by corn fields. I have only seen one other stand within a half mile of where I'm sitting. I've got food water thick cover... What am I missing... Well aside from deer

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Well I'm not dumb enough to ask you where your hunting, but any suggestions on your habitat strategies? I have been sitting on an oak ridge above a swamp that is surrounded by corn fields. I have only seen one other stand within a half mile of where I'm sitting. I've got food water thick cover... What am I missing... Well aside from deer
Deer hold up all day in the corn and are probably feeding on your ridge after dark. Most oak ridges are fairly open at ground level compared to a corn field and deer feel safer in thick cover during the day. Either hunt the edges of the corn if you have permission or wait it out a couple weeks till it starts to come down.

Have you done 4 sits in this same spot? If you have, that's a lot of pressure to be putting on 1 spot, especially this early. Having multiple locations increases your odds greatly. Your access in/out May be bumping deer as well.

If what you're doing isn't working, change something. Be flexible and be ready to take advantage of an opportunity when it presents itself. Never stop scouting!!! Read and adjust to the hunting pressure around you.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Such an awesome chunk of land,used too be really good hunting before the youth hunt started.The deer are so pressured you have to hunt from the ground where theirs no trees,they know danger comes from above they love the reeds and tall grasses.Had good success hunting around lakes the deer feel secure around water.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have always have good luck in Waterloo. Hunt where others hunters are not and pay attention to cover. If it looks good other hunters have hunted it. My spots I have to wear waders to. I hunt thick nasty areas that have islands with oaks. The biggest buck I have seen in the woods bedded 100 yards from the parking lot of state land. He knew when he was being hunted. Spend the time and hunt mid day too. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Such an awesome chunk of land,used too be really good hunting before the youth hunt started.The deer are so pressured you have to hunt from the ground where theirs no trees,they know danger comes from above they love the reeds and tall grasses.Had good success hunting around lakes the deer feel secure around water.
Got any evidence to support your claim on the youth hunting pressure? Heck, I was out to there Sunday evening and the area I was going to hunt had 5 guys in it. The only guy I ever see there is a friend and these guys were not youths so I'm not buying it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts