Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

waterfowl survey

777 7
I just got emailed the survey from the MDNR with questions on the 2020 season, plus a chance to add comments about season dates, bag limits and other matters pertaining to waterfowl hunting in Michigan. I'm not sure how widespread the surveys are this year, but these results are used by the waterfowl workgroups to set dates, and reviewed at CWAC before the voting. The last survey had a 3% response rate, which is a little disappointing.

As an example of how this works, the 2018 survey results clearly showed that most hunters in the Saginaw Bay Area preferred that the bay move to the middle zone, so that option was presented to CWAC for vote. After CWAC voted in favor of this move, the Natural Resources Commission again used the survey information to approve the change.

Please take the time to fill out your post season survey if you get one!
Reactions: MichiFishy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I did. Great to have a log to fall back on. Might have to add a "County" column.
Took the survey. Really did not think there were many useful questions. How many ducks did you kill? Where did you kill them? I answer similar questions every year when I buy a license. I put some comments in, not sure I believe anyone really reads them or cares what I think.
The questions you answer when you buy your license are used in the federal models to gauge harvest rates flyway wide and also as a first step towards selecting wing survey participants. The answers on the state survey are a much finer scale at the county and public/private scale and are used to track where harvest is occurring and how harvest trends are changing within the state.
Took the survey. Really did not think there were many useful questions. How many ducks did you kill? Where did you kill them? I answer similar questions every year when I buy a license. I put some comments in, not sure I believe anyone really reads them or cares what I think.
Plus, voting/participating gives you the right to bitch extra loud ! A 3% return is dismal for sure. The bitching rate is much higher than that. So there's another problem.
Reactions: Far Beyond Driven
Funny thing, I didn't get one from Michigan but I did get one from our 3 day trip to Missouri.

Filled it out and for the first time in three trips to the "show me" state I was able to state that I had harvested waterfowl.
It's on the DNR site if you want to fill it out.
Funny thing, I didn't get one from Michigan but I did get one from our 3 day trip to Missouri.

Filled it out and for the first time in three trips to the "show me" state I was able to state that I had harvested waterfowl.
Reactions: The Doob
Thanks for the heads up, didn't know that it was universally available. Completed the survey so now they have my .02 cents worth.
It's on the DNR site if you want to fill it out.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.