Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a old farm house with poured walls in the basement. And water comes in from the plastic well line that comes throught the wall about 6" off the floor (after 7" of rain this last weekend) What is the best way to stop the water from coming into the basement. I need to seal between the plastic pipe and the cement wall. I want to do this on the inside of the house.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
You can just go to the hardware store or local big box (HD or Lowes) and get some hydraulic cement. Mix up a small amount in a container and make it about the consistency of peanut butter. Then just pack it into the space between the concrete wall and the pipe. That should do the trick. That should keep the water out but you really need to try and keep the water away from the foundation in the first place. Make sure that the grade on the outside is sloped away from the house and install extensions on your downspouts. That will go a long way toward keeping your basement dry.

Good luck!

John

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's about 1 1/2" - 2" pipe with about a 3" hole in the wall. It only leaks when we get alot of rain. The people who owned it before me did not bother with fixing it. I tried silicone a few years back which helped alot but it's was a temperary fix.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
That's no problem at all. You said you tried silicone. That should work for a temporary fix but if you want to make it permanent here's what I'd do. Get the hydraulic cement. Then try to chip away a little more of the concrete to get rid of the silicone. Don't worry because it sounds like you don't have much area to fill anyway. Then use a spray bottle and mist the concrete before you try to plug it with the hydraulic cement. Just get it moist, it doesn't have to be dripping wet. You just don't want it dry when you patch it. Mix up the cement to a putty like consistency and then just press it into the joint and smooth it off. You should be good to go. There isn't a lot of working time with this stuff so work fast. Once it starts to set up it goes quick!

Good luck

John

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I third the Hydralic cement. Careful though it cures really fast so only mix up as much as you think u will need.

J-

·
Registered
9,776 Posts
Yep, hydraulic cement works well. Try to get it as far back as you can but it sets up real quick as others have mentioned. I've filled some form holes in poured cement basements and haven't had another issue... At least yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts