Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever tried water for bait? Dig a hole, line with plastic, let the rain water fill it. The new law is that you cannot use fruits, vegetables, grains, or minerals. Is water considered a mineral?:confused: It shouldn't be if it was filled naturally!!

· Registered
292 Posts
Prairieringneck,I had the same thought,but the question I got is can you line it with a man made material such as plastic.Or will they look at that like a stand and where you cannot have man made materials to construct it?

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Prairieringneck,I had the same thought,but the question I got is can you line it with a man made material such as plastic.Or will they look at that like a stand and where you cannot have man made materials to construct it?

You wouldn't want to construct a watering hole on public land.

· Registered
11,751 Posts
....t the question I got is can you line it with a man made material such as plastic.Or will they look at that like a stand and where you cannot have man made materials to construct it?
What?? I can understand any prohibition against a man-made watering hole on state land no matter what material it is made out of. But, I do not remember ever seeing a prohibition against using man-made materials in the construction of a blind.

· Registered
10,758 Posts
Anyone ever tried water for bait? Dig a hole, line with plastic, let the rain water fill it. The new law is that you cannot use fruits, vegetables, grains, or minerals. Is water considered a mineral?:confused: It shouldn't be if it was filled naturally!!
Why would you want to. Do you think the D.N.R., just has it in for bait hunters. Or maybe is there a genuine concern about a viable threat to the deer herd. Ever since the ban was instituted, people have been whining and crying about it. Would this be baiting, would that be baiting, can I do this, can I do that. Oh no what am I gonna do. Well heres one for ya: Quit your Pisssing and moaning, quit crying , get off your kiesters and go hunt! If keeping this diesease out of our deer herd means you never get to set over a bag of apples again, tuff. Go take up golf or something..................oh and by the way, I would call rap and report you for littering.....................end of rant

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nope, no one pissing and moaning here....just thinking about putting a watering hole on my private land, and trying to define the word "mineral" and if water is included in that. I also wouldn't suggest using plastic on public land. I have used water in the past and it works very well when it's a dry year and you not near a natural water source. Thanks for the replies guys!!

· Registered
10,758 Posts
Why not?
I dont think anyone was pissing and moaning until you came here.
To me its showing he is trying to find new tactics,and I think its a great question.
Or back dooring one that has been adressed.........water for bait, is how they started there posts. I would personally like to see all, baits-plots-attractants banned, with a very stiff penalty. Stop the hassle, stop the debate, you bait you lose liscence, weapon, transportation. End of story. Maybe then people will see the seriousness of the problem.

· Registered
13,316 Posts
anyone ever have any success with this tatic??

Actually if you have a piece of property and the nearest water is at least a half mile away this works excellent. On our farm we used to use one of the heavy black rubberized horse water tanks, the ones about 15 inch deep or so. We used to set it on a couple of cement blocks as that keeps most of the creeping crawling things out of it...................we used to fill it with fresh water about every third day............

· Registered
292 Posts
Or back dooring one that has been adressed.........water for bait, is how they started there posts. I would personally like to see all, baits-plots-attractants banned, with a very stiff penalty. Stop the hassle, stop the debate, you bait you lose liscence, weapon, transportation. End of story. Maybe then people will see the seriousness of the problem.
Gideon,I agree,I live in the T.B. area and the baiting has never really slowed down,nothing sucks more than patterning a buck and have someone through down a bait pile 100yds from you.
I was just talking to my brother about this and told him they need to make this fine hurt for it to stop,if the dont it wont I gaurantee it.
But there is always going to be people debating what else will work.
Praireringneck,If it is your private land and it is legal I would go for it,I dont think that your water hole is going to transfer any more disease than the puddle or water hole down the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.