Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
I usually don't do this, but I have to. Nothing about this guy, but I'm assuming he is not USCG lisenced or insured because it doesn't say he is.

http://detroit.craig...4072868268.html

DON'T USE ILLEGAL CHARTERS
A lot of bad things can happen to you with the worst case being you losing your life from an untrained, unqualified "Bass Charter"

BOO THIS MAN!!!!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
How about those monster perch. There may only be 5 but those things are huge they are at least 7''. Lol

·
Outdoorblog.net Member
7,012 Posts
Always always ask if they have a Captains License and if they have Guiding Insurance when they don't openly say they have it. They must have it to be guiding on the great lakes and it's connecting water ways. And if they are working from a boat or using a boat on inland waterways in the act of guide people they must have their inland pilots license and the ins should be a giving for any professional guide even if they are a walk and wade service

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I usually don't do this, but I have to. Nothing about this guy, but I'm assuming he is not USCG lisenced or insured because it doesn't say he is.

http://detroit.craig...4072868268.html

DON'T USE ILLEGAL CHARTERS
A lot of bad things can happen to you with the worst case being you losing your life from an untrained, unqualified "Bass Charter"

BOO THIS MAN!!!!

His phone number is posted in the ad. Why not call and ask about his license and qualifications (Or his assumed lack there of) before bad mouthing him on here? :confused:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not suprised one bit at ppl like this. They have all but destroyed small legit business owners in this economy. Much harder to compete against side jobbers

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not my job to be a cop and check him out, I'm just warning people if you use him, check for license and insurance.

Sent from my EVO using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is there a hidden issue with this guy that not being said? Seems kinda random to pick out an ad on Craigslist and critize it on here?? I'm sure he doesn't have the proper criteria to charter looks like he's just trying to make a few extra bucks taking people out fishing... Doesn't seem to be a big deal to me...

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,678 Posts
If you want me to risk my life going out on St Clair in a Tracker you had best pay me!!!;)
That lake eats tin boats and spits out the rivets.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a hidden issue with this guy that not being said? Seems kinda random to pick out an ad on Craigslist and critize it on here?? I'm sure he doesn't have the proper criteria to charter looks like he's just trying to make a few extra bucks taking people out fishing... Doesn't seem to be a big deal to me...
No hidden issue with this guy specifically. I was browsing boats on Craigslsit in the D area and ran across it. I know people check here to ask for charter recommendations. I usually give them because I know a lot of them and I know what it takes to be one. So this is my recommendation on what not to look for. If a guy is marketing a charter service and doesn't put USCG lisenced and insured on his ad, you may want to stay away. Don't know the guy from adam. Check my old posts, I always reply to the guys asking for charter reco's.

Ask a legit charter guy if it's not a big deal, you may get a very pissed off responce. I'm just giving out a warning. Kinda like walleye Mike's zander warnings :lol: (i think that's who reports places for selling zander as perch and waleye)

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I'm just like any other licensed captain. It's irritating that we have paid our fees, training, insurances and liabilities, to have any joe off the street chartering. You still need state license just to guide on dry land let alone Great Lakes. A few guys got busted in Lk Huron this summer and its usually licensed captains doing the calling. Unfortunately it only takes one accident and a guy like this will really pay in more way than one.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I believe that if he is providing the boat, he is running a charter service and not a guide service. Any charter captain or guide that does not display his legal credential upfront should be avoided.

·
Administrator
26,866 Posts
I called him, He offers a guide service not a USCG Licensed captain

no fish no pay :fish:
Illegal. He can guide (pretty sure he still need an inland guide license (not 100% sure))but must be on the clients boat or even one rented by the client. Cannot use his own boat.
I know one guy who supposedly rented the client his boat. Don't know who was the driver of the boat.
A "guide" would be for guidance only. Nothing else supplied.

I believe that if he is providing the boat, he is running a charter service and not a guide service. Any charter captain or guide that does not display his legal credential upfront should be avoided.
Correct.

·
Administrator
26,866 Posts
If you want me to risk my life going out on St Clair in a Tracker you had best pay me!!!;)
That lake eats tin boats and spits out the rivets.
Guess you won't be fishing with me!! Had my boat now for 14 years and it has treated me great. Riveted? Yup. Of course I don't go out in 3 ft'ers either and beat it.

I would never own a Ranger.

Lots of Trackers out there. Why? Good boat for the money. Not everyone can afford a BMW. But a Chevy is perfect for many.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts