Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a long narrow plot, actually the back 1/2 of my rifle range, 8-10ft wide, about 100yds long. My disc is a pull type, not 3pt, so after each pass I need to unhook, muscle it around, jockey tractor around in front & reattach for another pass, a real pain. I would like to turn this plot into a perennial planting, to make my life a little easier. My thought is to use Ladino clover. The plan is to do a soil test this spring, add the appropriate amount of lime, disc that in and kill weeds a couple times over the summer. Planting the clover with a cover mix of oats in the fall.
First of all does this make sense? Secondly, if I put down the needed fert at the same time as the lime will it still be benefical in the fall, or will most of the nutrient value be lost over the summer? I'm thinking it would be nice to put it down with the lime and disc it all at the same time, so I could avoid discing it again in the fall. I will cultipac after I put down the seed.

Thanks for any help!

G

·
Nimrod1, your thinking is on the mark. Not all fertilizer leaches into the soil at a fast rate. Example phousphourous takes a long time to migrate down into the soil, (years), which means it should be worked into the soil. Potash moves at a medium pace, nitrogen does migrate but most of the loss of nitrogen is due through evaporation, (from heat), denitrification, (from extensive exposure to moisture) and microbial action, (bacteria that use nitrogen as an energy source to breakdown organic matter into other useful nutrients). So, nitrogen should be applied more closely to the date of seeding, (worked into the sol) and followed with timely spaced intervals for more efficient use of nitrogen.

Your best bet is what you have indicated as your plan. Ladino is a fine clover, but think of adding to it other seeds, such as several ladino varieties including white clover and chicory, (chicory will be growing in the hot middle summer while your clover hides). After several tillage passes and a spraying or two your weed problem will be subdued, when seeding around the first of August. By all means add oats, (50 lbs per acre) as a nurse crop to the mix. Don't forget to correct that soil per soil test recommendations.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ed,
Thanks for the tips. I hadn't thought about adding chicory, but that makes good sense. Since I'm not planting until fall in this plot, it will be the last one to get any attention next spring. Rough timing for the work will be late May - early June. Kinda feels like I'm looking for the "easy way out" with this plot, but time at camp is short and precious. Lord knows I've got plenty of work to do there! Can't wait to get started!:D

Many thanks to all on this site. If not for what I've been able to learn from you guys, I wouldn't even know what side of the seeds to put down!:lol:

Thanks again Ed

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hi Ed

I planted some chicory mixed in with my ladino clover and they both are doing great. the deer in our area seem to like the chicory.
my chicory is growing near my pond and gets lots of moisture threw the whole growing season.
I have not planted it any place alse yet.

Ray

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have been offered a large amount of fertilizer from someone and I just want to make sure I get this right before I take it and get stuck with something I don't want. :help:

I've been offered: 2.5 tons - ammonium sulfate - which to my understanding is 21% Nitrogen or 21-0-0 +24S

Do I need to be worried about the added sulfur?

And 1.5 tons - potassium carbonate - which is also known as potash if I am not mistaken. I just don't want to add it without getting a little backround on it first.

Am I right?

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ed,

I also planted chicory and it did great even through th emiddle of the summer. The PH is real low as well so I think it would be a good choice.

The deer loved it just as Ray said which is always a bonus.

See you up there
Simon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts