Votes: 38 31.7%
  • Nope.....it was fine how it was

Votes: 82 68.3%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else feel like the early doe was to short? I am thinking they should just stop it for the youth hunt then run it right till the bow opener......Just seems like it was over to fast.......

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
With the over population, I think they could have let it go a few days longer, stretch it between two weekends to help knock down numbers where needed. It is a step in the right direction nonetheless.:)

·
Registered
591 Posts
just a ? you don't think that three months from oct thru dec is enough time to shoot does ? plus the spring block harvest oh and the late doe shoot for the non bow hunters.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I think the 5 day hunt was good enough. No need to turn the month of Sept into another gun season. I was all for this doe hunt and think that it will make for better hunting this fall. But there is no need to run it right up to the bow opener. I will be interested in see how many deer the DNR thinks were harvested over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I will be interested in see how many deer the DNR thinks were harvested over the weekend.
Me too. I know a lot of people who hunt and not one of them even had the thought go through their mind to go shoot a doe this time of year. I would bet the overall harvest is low but what do I know.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I feel the EAS was perfect.......5 days gives it a little sense of urgency...

Looking forward to EAS next year!!!!!

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
I didn't go out. Many people I know didn't go and I only saw one truck in my 10 mile drive to work. IMO, there's plenty of time to shoot them, I never have a problem.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I think 5 days was fine. Anybody who was gonna get out got out. I dont think another weekend would have made a big difference. Even during the regular 2 week firearms season I think some 80 - 90% of deer shot are shot on the first two days.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I don't think it had nearly the results that were desired. If someone does their own processing, it is very difficult to go out hunting (assuming it is on public property or another property), then transport a deer back in 80 degree weather, and get it cut up before it spoils. And, many more people will be doing their own cutting this year, I'm guessing, and save $50+ per deer.

Also, the heat and bugs this time of the year had to be a huge discouragement.

I don't know how they can change it though, without interfering with bow season.

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
The farthest I hunt from my house is around 10 miles. If I were to hunt that early season, I wouldn't mess with a bow where it might be a couple hours before I recover the animal. I would use a gun and take only the highest of percentage of shots. That way I know I could get that deer, from on the hoof to quartered and in the fridge, under an hour.

Bottom line though, in the past 15 years, I've only shot one deer with a a gun. I am in no hurry and can hunt every night of the season, plus about a third of the mornings.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I think it was perfect and am really looking forward to next years.

As far caring for the meat, it is quite simple if you make the necessary prepartions. We killed 3 deer on the property and each one was rinsed out, patted down, skinned, quartered and put in coolers for transportation to the home frig. I have all my quarters bagged seperatly in the frig and have been processing a couple a night.

I will definatly participate again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In the area I hunt, all the early doe season does is ruin bowhunting, we have some horrible neighbors and they are scumbags. I honestly wonder if any nice bucks have already been taken around our land due to the early doe season. I don't have a problem bow hunting during this time and taking out some does, but unfornately, this just temps the scum.

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
untill they do away with the tag limit i dont think we need anymore seasons.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The farthest I hunt from my house is around 10 miles. If I were to hunt that early season, I wouldn't mess with a bow where it might be a couple hours before I recover the animal. I would use a gun and take only the highest of percentage of shots. That way I know I could get that deer, from on the hoof to quartered and in the fridge, under an hour.

Bottom line though, in the past 15 years, I've only shot one deer with a a gun. I am in no hurry and can hunt every night of the season, plus about a third of the mornings.

The nights were plenty cool enough to keep a downed deer form spoiling. Anyone doing their own processing simply need to invest in an old chest freezer. I've seen them for $50 in the paper. I have one that has a temp control. Turn it down to about 40 degree, and just toss the whole deer in it when I got home. No trouble whatsoever, and I can easily fit half dozen whole deer in it.

Personally, I think they should have had 5 days with the gun, then the rest of the week with the bow for antlerless only, let guys use their combo tags on a doe, and then let bucks be legal on the first like has traditionally happened. Biggest hindrance I had was shooting a doe at 6pm Saturday night and not having a second tag in my hand due to the stupid 1 tag/day. If they are going to limit me to 5 tags, then let me buy the dang things all at once. So much hassle to run to the license agent every friggin day to buy another tag. If they want does killed, stop making these stupid petty little rules.

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
I have an old fridge in the garage, does a good job.

When we go to Colorado, it can be either 90 degrees or snowing. With two guys, it doesn't take long to bone one out and get in a cooler.

I don't thin I've ever shot a deer on a cool front, it's always when it begins to warm back up :dizzy:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Shouldn't have had one at all! I just don't think it has anything at all to do with the deer [over] population. I believe it's just the DNR/State Governments way of getting the flow of money started earlier from deer hunters. Isn't 3+ months long enough for deer season?

·
Registered
286 Posts
It was perfect with a full weekend and some days during the week including Friday and Monday for people with unconventional schedules who work weekends and 2nd and 3rd shift people, this way everyone who had a notion to hunt could work it into their particular schedule. I think they should do it the exact same way next year, Thursday thru Monday before bow hunting.

Sargeyork:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts