Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
eIf you are shorth of breath and do not have any pain go to the hospital and get checked out.
I was given a Christmas miracle on 24 Dec. I also join a group of special people in the US. I have had issues for several years with breathing. Went to different doctors and nothing wrong. In Oct I had an EKG and stress test pasted both with flying colors. Saw the heart DR on 8 Nov glowing results. 16 nov had the first spell. No chest pain no other signs other than like some hit you in the gut a couple of times It went away and was somewhat fine. Last Sat I had another one this lasted for aa few hours . Christmas Eve morn went to the store in Cadillac. Had another spell got to the truck and went to hospital. Go to the med center told them what was wrong . Was slammed int a wheel chair and away we went to a room filling up with people. They took EKG was in a full blown heart attack. They gave me drugs to stop it and loaded me into the amnblance and headed to TC. Lights and siren all the way. I was awake all the time in no pain what so ever. Got to the hospital andnurse in the back told me I was about to become the most important person at the hospital. Little did I knw. Get to the e room which had 10 or 12 people in it. Talked to the heart DR and he said I was going to get a heart cath. So we went to a room and sat with friends starting to file in. One very important person showed up was a friend who in a REg Nurse in the cath lab.3:00 went to thecath lab and we were all joking around. Gave me a shot and we were off. I was fully awake and watching on the biggest screen TV I ever say. I saw the blockage and I heard the DR say S$$$. Then a call went out to get a surgery room ready and get DR's there stat. He told me if I felt any discofort to let him know. I still did not know that the call that went out was for me. They pulled out of my arm and went for the groin( note here do not get dryshaved in this area as it hurts like hell. Then I felt aslight pressure in my chest so I told him then all hell broke loose in there. People were flying everywhere. I still had no clue. At this point I later found out that I was within a few mins if death. Now for the Chirstmas miracle. Doc put a stent in my Cornary artiry. As soon as it was inflated Ihad an feeling of a lot of pressure remove from my chest. Next day I was swamped with heart DR's and it was explained to me that this had only been done a dozen of times in the whole US. My artey was blocked 95 to 99 % and if it had nt worked I would not be tying this. I had a widow maker and less than 2% survive this. This whole thing is kind of over whelming at the moment for me. Before I left th hospital this afternoon I had to walk down a long hallwaywhich I had been doing since Christmas day. The nurse that was there to grade me could not keep up. Dr wa in the hall way and came right over and shook my hand. Maybe laterafter I get use this I will tell what I think I saw Christmas Night. Be aware of these warning signs as it could meanlife or death

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
eIf you are shorth of breath and do not have any pain go to the hospital and get checked out.
I was given a Christmas miracle on 24 Dec. I also join a group of special people in the US. I have had issues for several years with breathing. Went to different doctors and nothing wrong. In Oct I had an EKG and stress test pasted both with flying colors. Saw the heart DR on 8 Nov glowing results. 16 nov had the first spell. No chest pain no other signs other than like some hit you in the gut a couple of times It went away and was somewhat fine. Last Sat I had another one this lasted for aa few hours . Christmas Eve morn went to the store in Cadillac. Had another spell got to the truck and went to hospital. Go to the med center told them what was wrong . Was slammed int a wheel chair and away we went to a room filling up with people. They took EKG was in a full blown heart attack. They gave me drugs to stop it and loaded me into the amnblance and headed to TC. Lights and siren all the way. I was awake all the time in no pain what so ever. Got to the hospital andnurse in the back told me I was about to become the most important person at the hospital. Little did I knw. Get to the e room which had 10 or 12 people in it. Talked to the heart DR and he said I was going to get a heart cath. So we went to a room and sat with friends starting to file in. One very important person showed up was a friend who in a REg Nurse in the cath lab.3:00 went to thecath lab and we were all joking around. Gave me a shot and we were off. I was fully awake and watching on the biggest screen TV I ever say. I saw the blockage and I heard the DR say S$$$. Then a call went out to get a surgery room ready and get DR's there stat. He told me if I felt any discofort to let him know. I still did not know that the call that went out was for me. They pulled out of my arm and went for the groin( note here do not get dryshaved in this area as it hurts like hell. Then I felt aslight pressure in my chest so I told him then all hell broke loose in there. People were flying everywhere. I still had no clue. At this point I later found out that I was within a few mins if death. Now for the Chirstmas miracle. Doc put a stent in my Cornary artiry. As soon as it was inflated Ihad an feeling of a lot of pressure remove from my chest. Next day I was swamped with heart DR's and it was explained to me that this had only been done a dozen of times in the whole US. My artey was blocked 95 to 99 % and if it had nt worked I would not be tying this. I had a widow maker and less than 2% survive this. This whole thing is kind of over whelming at the moment for me. Before I left th hospital this afternoon I had to walk down a long hallwaywhich I had been doing since Christmas day. The nurse that was there to grade me could not keep up. Dr wa in the hall way and came right over and shook my hand. Maybe laterafter I get use this I will tell what I think I saw Christmas Night. Be aware of these warning signs as it could meanlife or death
Buddy of mine had the same two years ago .He was a health nut but started having the same symptoms you stated .Dr said he was minutes from death with the widow maker also .Talked to him at a baseball game this summer and he said it has really changed his life and dosen't take it for granted anymore .Glad your OK .

·
Premium Member
30,312 Posts
Lucky, lucky, lucky.

My deer camp friend needed surgery for an ICD - implantable cardioverter-defibrillator. He was at a funeral for an extended family member when his heart stopped. Not a heart attack, just stopped. There was no warning. He already had issues with arrhythmia. CPR and a fast trip to St Joe's got him fixed up. He was out of the hospital and home in two days. If it hadn't happened when and where it did, he would be dead.

·
Super Moderator
35,306 Posts
My gramps survived a widowmaker but it did a bit of damage. Just a short bit prior he had passed all tests and the dr even told him he had the heart fitness of a 30 something. Strong enough to cover up major issues I suppose. Ended up with 7 stents in different incidents after that and as far as we were told, it wasn't blockage that took him 9 yrs later. Likely similar to Petro's story. They started to go in for emergency ICD but it quit.

I'm sure they'll keep a close eye on you. Now you know not to ignore it!

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
I have a question...well lots of them but limit to just this one.

If you worked hard...say shoveling concrete or splitting wood for an hour. Do you loose breath and have to stop and let the air catch up ?

This is what I have happen.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Glad you did make it through and typed that all up for us; thanks! Esp. knowing that you were basically pro-active on your health all through the fall. I expect your next chance to be outdoors with some nice fresh air will taste extra sweet.

·
Premium Member
10,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a question...well lots of them but limit to just this one.

If you worked hard...say shoveling concrete or splitting wood for an hour. Do you loose breath and have to stop and let the air catch up ?

This is what I have happen.
If you walk before you do anything and feel like a washrag no desire to do anything. Get checked out

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Glad to hear that they got you on the road to recovery. Take it easy.

·
Premium Member
10,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad you did make it through and typed that all up for us; thanks! Esp. knowing that you were basically pro-active on your health all through the fall. I expect your next chance to be outdoors with some nice fresh air will taste extra sweet.
I can go up the steps now with out stopping and feeling tired. I owe that group a lot and with the skill they showed was something else. I think they said this was the first time this had ever been done there. Today I found out that because I was in the shape I was not showing any signs they were going to leave me go until Christmas morning. Our friend stepped in and told this group that he was our friends and he would really appreciate it if they did it than night. They did it as a favor to him. He does not know that I know this and it came from one of they guys that was on the operating team.

·
Super Moderator
35,306 Posts
From what I gather, symptoms vary greatly between people. A close relative just had a heart attack with a clot blocking the main right at the top of the heart. He had gone to the dr and they gave him heartburn medication. 39 and EXTREMELY fit.

·
Premium Member
10,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of my DR's was a very nice looking NP heart Dr and very smart. She said that this has been done so few times they do not know how long it will last and there are very few studies on it. I am sure in the future there will be one coming from TC hospital. Now for a little humor that went on. Like I said they dryshaved me. When I got to the room there was a nurse that took a peak. Her words were who used the weed wacker on you. I laughed and she left. Then when she came back had a set of hair clippers in her hand and said guess what I am going to do to you. I said just be careful. Her reply was don't worry you are in the hospital and they can sew things back on. Christmas morning shift change was at 7. About 7;0 in comes the night nurse and the day nurse. The night nurse said Merry Christmas and we are here to check your groin the other started to sing Christmas groin check and how we like a Christmas groin check. I about died laughing. When I left today the one came and hugged me ands said it is not going to be the same around here now

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Good to hear you are back home and active enough to post a message of your ordeal. Just wondering if they have you wearing a heart monitor that electronically send a report of any abnormality.

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
I was 39 when I had this happen to me. They told me how lucky I was to survive the 90% blockage, but somehow back then, I didn't feel that lucky. I do now though 15 trouble free years later. Guess the warranty was pretty good.

Anyway, I had been having symptoms for years. I didn't ignore them, but all the tests were always negative. One time I had so much chest pain after climbing down from a tree stand I had so much chest pain I had to lay down in the snow for a while in the woods. The bottom line is don't ignore things and push to get help.

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
We that have survived that experience should form a club, my episode was about 15 years ago

·
Premium Member
10,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was 39 when I had this happen to me. They told me how lucky I was to survive the 90% blockage, but somehow back then, I didn't feel that lucky. I do now though 15 trouble free years later. Guess the warranty was pretty good.

Anyway, I had been having symptoms for years. I didn't ignore them, but all the tests were always negative. One time I had so much chest pain after climbing down from a tree stand I had so much chest pain I had to lay down in the snow for a while in the woods. The bottom line is don't ignore things and push to get help.
You are very correct. As men we tend to put things off. I did the same as you but with no answers. Here is where we were different. I never had any pain except for a burning when I breathed. I was told after the first on it was a side effect to another med I was on. I still cannot et over the difference. I could run up the steps if I wanted. It is like I cannot wait to go outside and do things again

·
Premium Member
13,455 Posts
Glad to hear it was caught in time and you received prompt medical treatment.
Wishing you a quick and successful recovery!

1 - 20 of 95 Posts