Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday around 5:00 pm i watched a man ice fishing on Silver Lake in Grand traverse County fall through the ice multiple times. He was on the west side 2 houses south of the Old English subdivision beach. Obviously ice is not safe out there yet

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yesterday around 5:00 pm i watched a man ice fishing on Silver Lake in Grand traverse County fall through the ice multiple times. He was on the west side 2 houses south of the Old English subdivision beach. Obviously ice is not safe out there yet

No it is not, I have been out several times just off my parents beach with someone watching on the east side.

Did he make it out?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
No one ran out there to help him initially?!??? That's nuts. My sister and several friends went snowshoeing on the lake and the house you speak of is where they started. This was a week ago! No one fell in, but I told them it was a stupid decision.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Scary stuff!! We all need to make sure to remember that were getting ice pretty early this year and not all lakes have good ice yet. Please be careful everyone!!!

·
Registered
20,903 Posts
No one ran out there to help him initially?!??? That's nuts. My sister and several friends went snowshoeing on the lake and the house you speak of is where they started. This was a week ago! No one fell in, but I told them it was a stupid decision.
Why is that nuts. He made the decision to risk his life on unsafe ice, You want someone else to risk their life to save him. It wouldnt be me.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Why is that nuts. He made the decision to risk his life on unsafe ice, You want someone else to risk their life to save him. It wouldnt be me.
This here goes full circle when you sir are ever in need of any kind of help.

Good Samaritan I believe is the word..we lack this anymore!!!!!

As such a simpleton response you gave I hope your never the one in a position of need from a possible passer by thinking the same assanine comment you just said.....think before you speak, YOU may feel the the fella going out fishing was not being smart but as many outdoorsman trying to enjoy the love of the outdoors, it just wat we do..hoping the fella was being cautious of course, not all ppl you assume are "risking life on unsafe ice" are the idiots you impose..you are just the same idiot in reverse thought in my mind fer such a close minded comment..but just for your info been on SAFE ice fer few weeks now..

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I agree I will call 911 and watch from shore it's amazing how people will defend poor judgement and elect sympathy when something goes wrong . One thing I have noticed on this forum I don't wish anyone I'll but as in all of life we are ultimately responsible for our own action .

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I've pulled two people out in my life and I'd do it again. One went through while he was checking a crack and the other drove his quad onto thin ice and went through. Both on Sag. Bay. It's amazing with all the people that were out there, nobody offered to help either time, they just keep fishing and watching. The guy that went through at the crack came out pretty easy. The guy that went through on his quad was a little tougher. Also ended up getting his quad out. I called some buddies and it took us the best part of 8 hours and a couple trips back to shore (for supplies) to get his machine back up on the ice in 14 fow.

People all around and nobody offered to help.

They were both very grateful for our efforts.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I would be right there helpin too Magnet, IMO these other onlookers are all COWARDS
It would weigh pretty heavy on me to sit there and do nothing.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
It's not for us to judge here. I have gone out after people in the water and searching Saginaw bay. I do not look down I. People that choose not to.put themselves in harms way. Nearly calling 911 is enough. Both times I went out after guys I got wet but had picks to get back out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
You are a brave person Magnet. Good job. I don't think I would have went back after the quads though.
When that quad finally came up and onto the ice, it felt way better than fishing and limiting out x 100.

·
Registered
20,903 Posts

This here goes full circle when you sir are ever in need of any kind of help.

Good Samaritan I believe is the word..we lack this anymore!!!!!

As such a simpleton response you gave I hope your never the one in a position of need from a possible passer by thinking the same assanine comment you just said.....think before you speak, YOU may feel the the fella going out fishing was not being smart but as many outdoorsman trying to enjoy the love of the outdoors, it just wat we do..hoping the fella was being cautious of course, not all ppl you assume are "risking life on unsafe ice" are the idiots you impose..you are just the same idiot in reverse thought in my mind fer such a close minded comment..but just for your info been on SAFE ice fer few weeks now..

The guy was on a lake not properly frozen, it wasnt a weak spot. I have no problem helping someone, and have done so many times. But I will not put my life and family's well being on the line, due to someone else,s misjudgement.

Its great to be a good samaritan.....But being a dead samaritan is without reward.

And just for your info, I have not been on the unsafe lake I fish. I have however been under the ice, several years ago due to someone else's poor actions. An unmarked spearing hole.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Our neighbors a couple houses down sprinted out there with an inflatable tube and got him out. I asked the neighbor next to our subdivision beach today.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
You can bet I'd be hauling ass out there in a life jacket with some rope! I'd hope someone would do the same for me too. It's actually a criminal offense to stand there and not do anything.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The guy was on a lake not properly frozen, it wasnt a weak spot. I have no problem helping someone, and have done so many times. But I will not put my life and family's well being on the line, due to someone else,s misjudgement.

Its great to be a good samaritan.....But being a dead samaritan is without reward.

And just for your info, I have not been on the unsafe lake I fish. I have however been under the ice, several years ago due to someone else's poor actions. An unmarked spearing hole.

I agree. It is a slippery sloop. You have to be sensible. Do you run into a burning building, Defuse an IUD. Being from a firefighter family, Let professionals be professional. You owe it to your family. Not stupid if the life you save is your own.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts