Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice on publicly accessible spots that can be shore fished in the colder months in the west michigan area.

I like fishing in FL saltwater and used to do good fishing inland lakes here for LMB and pike, but no longer have access to the property or a boat, so looking for some alternatives. I'm here through at least the holidays and would like to catch some fish. Specifically Pike, Catfish, bass, freshwater drums or anything fun and interesting. I'm near GR and I'm fishing with a guy that lives in Holland, so I'm trying to stick kind of close.

Doing some digging and from some old posts on this forum as well as scanning google maps, Ive come up with this list for some potentially promising spots:
  • Pigeon lake inlet/bridge(W. Olive)
  • Lake macatawa(Holland)
  • Pottawtomie park (G.Haven)
  • Bruces Bayou(G.Haven)
  • Inlets for G.Haven, Holland, and pigeon lake

I was thinking of finding some holes, catching some bait and sticking that on rod, then working a spoon/jig/spinner/jerkbait while I let the bait rod sit. I have had great success catching pike on live bait in inland lakes and figured a cat might scoop it if the bait starts dying too, and in the meantime switch up the artificials until something hopefully bites.

I don't except anyone to reveal their honey holes or anything but any advice that could point us in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

· Registered
23,403 Posts
Pike take dead bait at times.
Flatheads will take live bait.

You've Multiple rivers in range. lakes often relate to moving distance waters.
Grand. Coldwater. Thornapple. Muskegon. Rouge. Research bridges for starters. Look for parking near.
Look North and there's more.

Piers exist too.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. We ended up going to the Holland state park pier after an unsuccessful excursion to pidgeon creek area. At the holland pier we pulled out some decent sheepshead on live carolina rigged worms and light minnow jigs. Neighboring angler caught a nice sized cat and one guy said he caught a small walleye but no action besides that.

· Registered
14,290 Posts
If you want pike in that area, try off the boardwalk in Pottawatomie park (not the fishing pier) or the bridge over the mouth of Stearns Bayou. Used to occasionally see people fishing the east side under the bridge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts