Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the warm weather I would like to give some of my thoughts and hear yours.

Last night I hung an observation stand and glassed field edges. I had my bow with me, just in case but didn't really plan on much.

Some of the deer know the season has started and they are also getting their winter coats, along with the full moon, I don't like to use my best stands at this time.

In warmer weather I have a sock in my rubber maid hunting clothes tub that I put baking soda in. I use it like a rosin bag on my hands and head to control perspiration when walking and climbing into my stand. I also put baking soda in my rubber boots to control smell.

I carry my coat and other layers to put on as the sun sets.

Good luck and be safe

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Stay home and make a bunch of JERKY :D

No, seriously, when it get's warm, I like to hunt the morning's and evening's. The first couple hrs of daylight, and last couple hrs of daylight. If not hunting, I like to take a camera in the wood's and see if I can shoot some pic's of deer or a video camera. OR scout a different area!!

My $.02

·
Registered
98 Posts
I like this weathr pattern we are in now, and plan ahead for this type hunting. I sit on runways going to food areas and don't use bait. I try to stay clean as possible by carring my warm clothes in a pack and were rubber boots. The wind is finally out of the south west which is my best bet.
Also the moon is raising. I don't really like it being this full but I finally got the conditions i want.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
After hunting last night, we all came into camp. My buddy said he filled a doe permit on his 40 down the road. All I wondered was, why pick a 75 degree day to fill a doe tag? By the time we got to the deer, it was very bloated. By the time we got back to the house and washed it out, it was already too late to find an open meat cooler. Luckily, I had a bag of ice and we hung her up by the feet and set the ice in her chest cavity. My buddy said she seemed fine this morning. I think it got down to 50 overnight. Just be mindful of the temps for spoilage. It you're in the middle of nowhere and can't get ice or the deer into a cooler, or you make a bad shot that you can't find it soon, you may be in trouble. If it's pushing 80, like today, you should be extra selective on any shot.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That is a real good point about spoiliage. It's something that most people including myself don't think about till it's to late.

·
Registered
26,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I skin and quarter then throw in a old fridge in the pole barn on warm days. Very good point, shot selection is critical now more than ever.

Bob, when we left Baldwin we stopped by the Beef Barn (?) and got some jerky. There were some people in there and everyone kept going to the cooler. So I went back and looked, there was a huge russin boar in there. I think I saw your nephews deer in there too.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Yeah, that would have been my nephews. They said it was the only one in on the whole first day of the youth hunt. Suprising. That's the M-37 Meat Shack. Their jerky is sweet! I believe they did have a boar and I think they had a 300 lb plus black bear to do also.

·
Registered
26,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't see the bear. They had a couple of small bucks and I think one other doe. I bet the one your nephew got would melt in your mouth though ;)

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
That must have been Sunday. Yeah, that little doe fawn was a "one hander". Very small, but a perfect one for the youth hunt. I told John at the Meat Shack not to dull his butter knife on it! Ha,ha. Probably will only get 20lbs out of it. But they had to leave for a family party and time was short, so they couldn't process it.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I have left ALL my stands alone since Monday AM,

So I think I will go out and give em a try. It cant hurt. I will just make sure I slip and slip out!!

I really like the recipe of making your own scent control. Also does the baking powder in the sock really work also?

Two things I have NEVER heard before.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
When it's really warm like today, I skip evening hunts completely. No matter how little I wear, it's impossible not to work up a sweat while walking to my stands, usually over half a mile through sunny fields while carrying my pack and bow and wearing rubber boots. Plus, with the warm temps, evening movement is usually delayed. If I really want to go bad, I'll stick with morning hunts, which have been pretty productive this year.

With the full moon and the weather, this is shaping up like a great stretch for household chores, taking the wife out, and building up domestic brownie points which will soon be drawn upon.

·
Registered
26,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I liberally douse my bow case with the baking soda becase shooting in the sumer we have to use bug spray. Haven't had a deer snort yet, so I think it works. I love the rosin sock, I think it really helps. But then again, anything that gives you confidence and the will to stick it out, has gotta work ;)

·
Registered
685 Posts
I most generally just B!$#% and moan about the warm weather.

I still think they can keep this crap down south where it belongs.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Being laid off for a couple of weeks I've been able to put my time in bow hunting so far with none hanging. I think about heading out, but I believe it's to warm. I am however going up north this weekend to video tape an early firearm doe hunt. The weather looks like it'll cool down Sunday. So Sat night may be the night Since I process my own I'm still going to bring the big cooler and if I'm lucky enough I may have to quarter one.

·
Registered
35,299 Posts
I just don't hunt on hot days like today. Unless you have alot of spots to hunt why would you take a chance on getting scented or losing your meat due to spoilage.

You could be small game hunting or fishing.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
full moon, warm weather. Bad time to hunt. The season isnt even 2 weeks old. I can wait until this weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts