Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like we are in for a warm up starting today. Tomorrow its saying 36 and rain and 35 and light rain on Saturday. My brother-in-law is scared that the ice will become unsafe but in my experience it usually takes 4 or five days of heavy rain and 40 degree temps to melt 8 inches of solid blue ice. Plus some of the snow helps to keep the ice longer when it is raining. What are some other thoughts on this? I'd like to hear from you guys but really don't want to hear how I'm crazy for ice fishing in the rain. I've done it every year and never had a problem when its early in the year. Let's hear some thoughts on this.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
My forecast shows the high topping out at 36 for 2 days....thats NOT a big deal to me since I've been fishing on 6 or 7 inches for the past 3 days.....its all good... might be a little sloppy for a couple days....I won't walk over any runoff area or deep deep slush pockets still.....but overall not going to stop my fishing by a long shot.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Hey Pete how ya been.
A little rain will actually help cause it will melt some of the snow cover.
Some of my best ice fishing has been sitting on a bucket in the rain.
Remember one year catch massive crappies,running out of minnows and using dead minnows and eyeballs as bait.
Did you know there are a few of us fishing Crystal Lake on Monday if you want to join in.
Merry Christmas
Larry

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't think this little warm up and rain is going to be too detrimental to the ice we have. In fact I think the small warm up is going to really trigger the fish into biting. The cold front that we are getting over really shut them down for a few days. Before the cold snap I was limiting out on some nice gills, but for the past few days it has been no comparison. Good luck everyone!

Ryan

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
A little warmup with rain wouldnt be bad to melt some of the snow off but the weather is calling for windy weather for about 3-4 days during this period.Thats probaly not going to be good and it might break the ice up in some places especialy where its wide open.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Rain alone= OK Rain and driving wind= no more ice. I had one day about five years ago when I lost two tipups due to the driving wind and rain. The wind somehow caused the rain to penetrate the ice quicker and when it came to holes it turned them into whirlpools, widening the holes and sucking the tipups right down under the ice. Crazy, in a day and a half every bit of ice was gone.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RCH-
I can't make it on Monday because I have to meet with the florist on Monday afternoon. I'm going to fish LSC on Monday morning out of SANG. I plan on heading up north near the end of January for a Higgins/Houghton outing. Do you want to come along? Keep in touch and I hope to see you on the ice this winter.

Apprentice-
Did you get the rig and flies I sent. I'm going to get some more and will send you a few. Let me know how the ones I sent are working. Sorry I couldn't send more but that was all I had at the time.

I can't wait to get the quad and gear out on the ice. I'm chomping at the bit.

Good luck out there and be safe.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Dec 22 Mostly cloudy skies. Low 31F. Winds SW at 15 to 25 mph.Dec 23 Cloudy with occasional showers arriving in the afternoon. Temps nearly steady in the low to mid 30s. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 40%.Dec 23 Cloudy skies. Low 31F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph.Dec 24 Mostly Cloudy. Highs in the mid 30s and lows in the low 30s.Dec 25 Windy, snow showers possible. Highs in the mid 30s and lows in the upper 20s.Dec 26 Windy, snow showers possible. Highs in the low 30s and lows in the upper 20s.Dec 27 Mostly cloudy and windy with snow showers. Highs in the low 30s and lows in the upper teens.Dec 28 A few snow showers. Highs in the low 20s and lows in the low teens.Dec 29 Snow showers at times. Highs in the mid 20s and lows in the upper teens.Dec 30 Cloudy. Highs in the upper 20s and lows in the mid 20s.

This "warm up" should not hurt our ice,:D :D

Atleast I hope. Ill head out again tomorrow if the wind dies, if not. I wont be out again until december 26th:yikes:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Agree that not much risk to the ice, BUT....wind is a PAIN, especially if we melt enough snow to get to solid ice: I hate to have stuff fly across the lake! I am still planning on getting out somewhere, sometime tomorrow......

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Pete.

I'm not to upset about the forecast. Especially since the temps are not going to get out of sight. Like mentioned above, the snow will meld into the ice with some moisture and quickly become part of the ice pack itself with any colder weather fallowing this short thaw. :idea: :D This isn't the hardest ice, but at least the insolating qualities of it will be gone. :yeahthat:

·
Registered
210 Posts
this meltdown is what tht doctor ordered.I think this warmth will melt the snow on the lakes then mother nature will comply with an artic blast and re freeze every thing up again. Quewstion.Will the thaw and refreeze cause air pockets? :confused:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
bigberniegb said:
this meltdown is what tht doctor ordered.I think this warmth will melt the snow on the lakes then mother nature will comply with an artic blast and re freeze every thing up again. Quewstion.Will the thaw and refreeze cause air pockets? :confused:

Airpockets are caused by a few things, few of which have to do with snow thawing on top the ice. Rising and falling water depths, wind forced air pockets near ice jams and gas pockets that create pockets after theres already been a solid layer of ice laid down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts