Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the predicted unseasonably warmer temps predicted this weekend, how do you think the movement will be affected? if the temps are in the low 60's mid day, yet the chase is obviously on, how will the deer react?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I agree. Once that process starts I dont think a little weather will slow it down. May be a good opportunity to hunt near a good water hole though. If the bucks are up running a lot in the warmer weather, they might need a drink at some point.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope so....seems everytime I take the 3 hour drive to my spot, the weather doesn't cooperate. I'm afraid that the heat will stop their movements, rut be damned.

·
Premium Member
5,603 Posts
It isn't going to be warm enough to change movements at all. It's just going to make for comfortable sitting.

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
photoperiodism controls the rut, while weather can impact movement, the hormones are already being made and those hormones are affecting behavior regardless of the temps. It would takes some extremely unseasonably high temps to cause the deer to bed down all day, imo.

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
If you could only score one time a year, and you had to do it wearing a winter coat in say, August, what would you do?

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
I dont think the weather will stop them from chasing, at all. It might slow the does from feeding which would make some difference, but the bucks are chasing and will be for a few days.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you could only score one time a year, and you had to do it wearing a winter coat in say, August, what would you do?
I truthfully can't tell what side of the argument you are on! If I could only score once a year, I wouldn't wait for the perfect temperature. I'd settle with whatever, whenever, however regardless of any circumstances. And since I actually score only once a year, I know what I'm talking about....I'm married.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been thinking about his post also: hmmm? would I still hook up- even with a jacket? Would she think a Jacket in August was sexy? How does this apply to the deer? :)

I assume they'll still try to mount, just be sweaty?

I truthfully can't tell what side of the argument you are on! If I could only score once a year, I wouldn't wait for the perfect temperature. I'd settle with whatever, whenever, however regardless of any circumstances. And since I actually score only once a year, I know what I'm talking about....I'm married.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
The general rule of thumb is that warmer temps slow daytime deer activity and colder temps increase daytime activity. There are exceptions to every rule, but I wouldnt rely on exceptions.

It would be nice if we could all hunt in places where there's heavy competition among bucks during the rut. But that's the minority in Michigan. Most of us hunt skewed deer heards where bucks dont have a hard time finding a doe to mate. This means if the does dont move much during the day, the bucks wont have to move much either.

Either way, get out and hunt whenever you can. Its better than sitting on the couch! Unless you were out all night chasing a different type of animal. Then a day on the couch to rest might be the way to go ;)

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
photoperiodism controls the rut, while weather can impact movement, the hormones are already being made and those hormones are affecting behavior regardless of the temps. It would takes some extremely unseasonably high temps to cause the deer to bed down all day, imo.

Correct. If temps controlled the rut, then how would deer in the deep south ever propogate? Like Sib said, it would have to get awfully hot to shut them down at this point. Go hunt, this is the big show right now happening!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts