Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I quit fishing a Monday night tourney over here on the west side because of all the dead floaters I saw after everyone had cleared out. I forget if it was White or Mona lake, but there were at least 6-8 dead floaters out from the launch. It was bad

·
Registered
15,296 Posts
I quit fishing a Monday night tourney over here on the west side because of all the dead floaters I saw after everyone had cleared out. I forget if it was White or Mona lake, but there were at least 6-8 dead floaters out from the launch. It was bad
It looks bad for fisherman to leave them for sure. But is it really that bad if 25 boats go out and catch 5 bass each then 6 end up dying? Thats like 4%. They should be collected for sure and not left to rot in the water but the kill rate isn't atrocious. Tournaments collect data on total fish caught and how many are killed. It is a requirement to keep a log for each tournament. The average of dead fish for the highschool circuit I was involved with for 3 yrs was under 3%. I dont think it is much different than any other fishermans kill rate unless you are talking a walleye or panfish fisherman who keeps 100%.

Two guys on a boat in a tournament will go out and catch 30 fish and do their best to release every single fish. The same two guys could fish walleyes and keep 10 and we are griping at bass fisherman for losing an occasional fish. It makes no sense to me. I have caught countless bass this year and never killed a single one. Havent eaten one yet.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
47,853 Posts
It looks bad for fisherman to leave them for sure. But is it really that bad if 25 boats go out and catch 5 bass each then 6 end up dying? Thats like 4%. They should be collected for sure and not left to rot in the water but the kill rate isn't atrocious. Tournaments collect data on total fish caught and how many are killed. It is a requirement to keep a log for each tournament. The average of dead fish for the highschool circuit I was involved with for 3 yrs was under 3%. I dont think it is much different than any other fishermans kill rate unless you are talking a walleye or panfish fisherman who keeps 100%.

Two guys on a boat in a tournament will go out and catch 30 fish and do their best to release every single fish. The same two guys could fish walleyes and keep 10 and we are griping at bass fisherman for losing an occasional fish. It makes no sense to me. I have caught countless bass this year and never killed a single one. Havent eaten one yet.

I have a really hard time believing fishermen tossing them back right away is as bad as having them in a livewell. Maybe I'm wrong.

Could be delayed mortality but I've NEVER had a bass go belly up on me. Never.

·
Registered
15,296 Posts
My thought is the live well time weakens the fish to the point of no return. The water in a live well is the warm surface water. My proposal would be catch, measure/weigh and then release, no live well time. Just my thoughts.
I disagree. I use my livewell to revive fish and make sure they are healthy all the time before. Livewells have far higher oxygen rates than lake water. Bass can survive fine in warmer temps. Especially largemouth. I have never experienced water too warm in my livewell in michigan. I can only think of a couple times we have ever even added ice as a precaution in michigan. Downsouth definately.

Fish die because of bloated swim bladders, bad hooks, and waiting too long in a weigh in bag in a hot parking lot. I have seen several times where guys in the tournament who have the oxygen tanks for their lievewells will pick up struggling fish and revive them. It isn't the livewells killing them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My thought is the live well time weakens the fish to the point of no return. The water in a live well is the warm surface water. My proposal would be catch, measure/weigh and then release, no live well time. Just my thoughts.
Exactly….it’s the live well time that’s the key. In my mind a smallie hooked landed and released is in far better shape. Bouncing around in a live well for hours ( circulaction or additives or not) size culling and handling has got be the culprit related to the stress. Like I said tournaments..well ok. Shouldn’t just throw our hands up and say is just an inevitable bi product of the event and it’s just too costly or inconvenient to do it better. Evolution and improvement in the process is all.

·
Registered
15,296 Posts
I have a really hard time believing fishermen tossing them back right away is as bad as having them in a livewell. Maybe I'm wrong.

Could be delayed mortality but I've NEVER had a bass go belly up on me. Never.
Using big cranks I have seen fish hooked in the tongue or right at the base of the gill near the tongue bleed a little. If you throw those in the livewell those will typically take 1-3 hrs to expire. Not 100% but alot of them do. They can look healthy for a long time.

·
Registered
15,296 Posts
Are there even restrictions on fishing tournaments at all?
You can't tell me that 25 anglers hitting a 200 acre lake on a hot summer day isn't harmful.
Every tournament in michigan is registered with the state and they have log sheets that have to be turned in for bioligists. They record number of anglers. Number of fish caught, Hours fished, number of dead fish etc. Catch and release fisherman are not the concern if you are worried about health of a lake. It is the catch and keep you need to be worried about.

I have never heard of a 25 boat tournament on a 200 acre lake. That is kind of small. I have been on 600 acre lakes for a 3 hr tournament but those are usually 15 boats.

·
Registered
1 Posts
that's what I thought......thank you for simplifying the math

you stated you personally 'caught 400 in a day and half', but said you only fished 'a few hours after the rain' on day two.
'give or take'
let's keep it at 400, the numbers tell your story clear enough at 400

sunrise to sunset in mid-may (you said it was before the opener memorial Saturday) is about 14 hr 30 min
day 2 'for a few hours', let's say was 2.5
that equals 17 hours for 400 fish
that's 23.5 fish per hour
which means you are claiming to have caught one every 3.9 minutes
only if you were non-stop fishing from sunrise to sunset - never taking a break from fishing, even for one second

meaning you didn't pee, didn't eat, didn't drink, didn't take a crap, didn't unhook your fish, didn't tend to your line/lure
any time doing those things equates to you having to have caught a fish in less than 3.9 minutes

and didn't smoke - which I think you were probably doing constantly
I knew social media was in for new lows when they legalized marijuana!!!!!!
haha

ps - also interesting you caught 400 but the other 9 guys only caught 600
so you outfished them 400 to 66 (average), almost 7 times better than them
they must suck at fishing!

apologies for the delay
ripley's believe it or not was on the line
wanted me to tell you - they don't

and apologies if you just aren't sharing that you were using an umbrella minnow net
Bucknasty this dude just doesn’t get it 1 every 3 minutes!!! There’s times when it’s 3 in a minute

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I think what most are saying is that it is a very bad look for a bass tournament to leave a bunch of dead fish floating next to the shore after everyone has packed up and left. To me at least, that shows there is some room for improvement in the process and planning portions of said events. Understandably there will be fish that die, and when that happens, someone should be standing there with a cooler and a filet knife to turn them into food. Tourney fishing can be exciting, frustrating, expensive, yet rewarding all in the same day. Competition keeps the wheels greased...no matter what the game. Just because there are a few fish that don't make it doesn't mean tourney fishing needs to stop. I think a lot of the noise against tournies comes from guys and gals who wish they could fish them, but cannot for whatever reason.

Leaving fish floating post-weigh-in is a slobbish thing to do, just like guys who leave their crawler containers, cigarette butts, and Mountain Dew bottles on the shore. All of us can be better stewards of the resource.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Bucknasty this dude just doesn’t get it 1 every 3 minutes!!! There’s times when it’s 3 in a minute

And just like that, there’s one of the guys who can back my claim.

·
Premium Member
5,914 Posts
Yes the pictures are hard to take. So for a minute let’s take the OP as accurate. Tournaments were held. From the sound of it..live weigh in..fish were released and some didnt survive and went to waste. I wonder how many other fish didn’t make, that you didn’t see. Tournaments ok..CR..ok. Wasted wildlife for entertainment “Not Acceptable” under any circumstance. Nothing wrong with a tournament IMO, but not if this is a result. Gotta find a better way. Period. No debate…wasting wildlife is wrong by any reason standard.
That’s simple. Everyone of them can legally keep a 2 man limit of smallmouths home.

Would you feel better about that?

Just make the tournaments catch and keep. I would much rather the tournaments do their best to release as many fish as possible. Keeping 2000 bass would be much worse for the fishery then killing a dozen. Smh

If you fish you have wasted fish for entertainment. Simple as that. There’s no way to fish without killing fish. Even the best fly fisherman gill hook a trout once in awhile.

The hate for tournaments is nonsense. They have participation and very little impact on the fishery. Can’t stand a couple floating fish join PETA. I hope you don’t use minnows.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts