Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
937 Posts
I wonder how many of those “tossed back” walleye end up dying? Or how many pounds of walleye get wantonly wasted during the annual freezer clean out - of course this would imply that people had more walleye in their freezer than is legally allowed and that doesn’t happen…. Right?

so sick of threads like this one….

signed just another basshole. And the horse you road in on.

· Registered
937 Posts
ICYMI, this was shared by gundoggy last year.

For me, the takeaways are one, protecting bass during the spawn offsets bass killed during Summer. As much as MI bass guys complain about Canadian regs and their late opener, if not for bass on that side of LSC being allowed to produce more fry successfully, we'd see an even more dramatic drop in smallie numbers on the pond. And two, all anglers participating in Summer tournaments should be mandated to carry multiple bags of ice to maintain livewell temps at or below 55F for 8+ hrs. This would reduce the number of dead bass at scales as well as through delayed mortality. I have no issue with bass tourneys, just those anglers that waste the resource. The information has been out there for years. Just a matter of guys caring enough to make sure their fish are released as healthy as when they were caught.
You do what you are recommending here and you’re likely to kill your fish from temperature shock. Lake st Clair is basically the same temp from top to bottom. The lake doesn’t stratify. The water isn’t 55 degrees at the bottom in 20 fow. You catch a fish in 75 degree water and throw her into 55 and she dies of shock. And vice versa.

I keep ice - and it goes in in small amounts late in the day and also just before we enter into the dock area. Prior to entering the Clinton or the canal at selfridge I fill the tanks and add some ice in case we get stuck at the ramp which can be a mess coming in. I’ve lost one fish in 7 years and that was a tongue hooked fish I caught early in my tournament life before I learned about Mountain Dew.

ask the DNR fisheries biologists what they think of over icing and you’ll hear the same as above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts