Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Wanton waste laws and bass tournaments

8086 Views 119 Replies 44 Participants Last post by  fishinthed
The last few weekends there have been some bass tournaments on the lake. After weigh ins my brother and another buddy have driven by the launches in the evening or following day to find a bunch of real nice smallies floating belly up that weren’t able to be revived which is a shame and kinda pisses us off.

My question is, do wanton waste laws apply to bass tournaments? Very discouraging to see the awesome resources of this lake wasted and treated like garbage.
Green Grass Fish Gas Food

Water Coastal and oceanic landforms Watercourse Liquid Wind wave

Water Cloud Sky Plant Blue

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
1 - 20 of 120 Posts
I don’t believe we have that law on the books.
I've seen that situation before in the Grand river. It's a shame!
They've got to expect it with the water temps. But if it ain't home water do they care?
Farqwads! I just spoke to the dnr guy at clinton river about this subject at 7 am. Wish they would feed someone these fish. Or weigh and release when out on lake with a fish cam or something. Or have a livewell boat with refrigerated water or something.
It's gotta be for the public viewing. Can't see why else.
Farqwads! I just spoke to the dnr guy at clinton river about this subject at 7 am. Wish they would feed someone these fish. Or weigh and release when out on lake with a fish cam or something. Or have a livewell boat with refrigerated water or something.
If they wanted they could easily find someone to take those fish. What a waste.
Ego. Ego . Ego. And then some more Ego. This whole year round harassing of the fish population is coming home to roost. Does anyone remember when bass season in Michigan actually meant something. Not one of these morons give a damn about the "fish". It is all about their sorry ass. Me, myself, and their ego. Get the hell off the water you idiots.

Kisutch

God Bless Dr Howard Tanner

Former Lake Michigan Stakeholder

Lake Michigan Lake Trout Gillnetters Association "We pledge to kill them all"

Alewife what?
This is the kinda stuff that makes the rest of the fishermen look bad There are ways to make sure someone is credited with correct weight without killing fish.
agree
salmon tournaments often donate to shelters
I would be happy to go clean them to give to shelters on one condition - that they keep bassholes from talking to me while I have a knife in my hand! haha

ps - when I 'connect the dots', these tournament are using national resources for 'financial gain'. selling fish/game (national resources) for 'financial gain' is illegal. why aren't monetary tournaments illegal?
So what did the DNR have to say? As long as the tournament’s are registered then they are legal but that does nothing for the fish that just go to waste.

and god bless ray trombley in the 60s for ensuring the lsc bass season couldn't open until the 3rd Saturday in June to protect spawning

the 'youngsters' in dnr are probably proud they opened c&r - idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and ray is rolling in his grave!
Ego. Ego . Ego. And then some more Ego. This whole year round harassing of the fish population is coming home to roost. Does anyone remember when bass season in Michigan actually meant something. Not one of these morons give a damn about the "fish". It is all about their sorry ass. Me, myself, and their ego. Get the hell off the water you idiots.

Kisutch

God Bless Dr Howard Tanner
I have to defend catch and release. It has very little effect/impact on the spawn.
I know you’re gonna talk about the gobies/gills/etc raiding the nests but again, I’d guess pretty minimal impact by the sheer numbers of bass in many age classes caught on the lake.
I can relay some personal anecdotes regarding smallmouth and C&R.
Every spring we fish the C&R season in a creek that shall remain nameless. It’s nothing for our group to catch 1,000 plus smallies in a day and a half. Males, females, it doesn’t matter. There are rockbass, gobies, leeches, crayfish, etc in that creek. When the season opens the last Saturday in May that creek gets absolutely hammered with everybody keeping their limits.
Every year we go back we catch s thousand plus with fish from 9” to 19”+. My point is, if C&R and the season opening slaughter were that detrimental to the bass population, then we would see a big decline in numbers. Every year there seems to be more and more and more fish.
So that’s just my personal observations and 2 cents worth

and god bless ray trombley in the 60s for ensuring the lsc bass season couldn't open until the 3rd Saturday in June to protect spawning

the 'youngsters' in dnr are probably proud they opened c&r - idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and ray is rolling in his grave!
Maybe @DirtySteve knows why they don't do C& nearly immediate release.
We need someone to cast out the money changers from the temple.

Reactions: fishinthed and -db-
Let's be honest. This Summer fish kill has been happening for many years. Combine that with the fact that every weekend after the catch and keep season opener (Father's Day weekend) there's multiple bass tournaments on St Clair. That's a lot of dead bass/floaters Some tourney organizations do take care of their fish better than most but there's still too many anglers that really don't care how many fish they kill. The argument is "I bought a license so it's my right". But this is 2022. If I were the MI DNR, I would start fining every weekend tournament organization for every fish that gets dumped back in the lake belly up. Do it more than once and you're banned from holding a "tournament". Especially if the organization is from out of state (Ohio or Indiana). I mean 5 bags of ice are like $15 bucks and you can't even contribute to the local economy and buy some ice when you stop for gas? Or take a few minutes to learn how to fizz a bass?

As far as early season CIR, I'm with bucknasty. Except for there are way too many noobs and veteran anglers that still insist on boat flipping and weighing every smallie just so they can log their 'best 5' for the day and feel better. I mean seriously, any long time LSC smallie guy doesn't need to bring anything other than a potential PB on board. Lean over and release the bass at boatside. No boat flipping, no netting, no leaving out of the water for minutes to get a bunch of selfies and a weight. Of course, every bass guy will retort with "the bass population is fine". Maybe so, maybe not, but why do you need to boat flip/net and weigh every bass you catch? Release immediately so they at least have a chance to return to their nest. The only bass I might photograph is if it looks over 21" and most serious bassheads have caught enough 20"ers and 21"ers to know the difference. Ray Scott must be rolling in his grave at the way guys still kill big smallies unnecessarily and on purpose.
Those photos are hard to look at. It seem akin to having a European hunt for pheasant and leaving the birds to rot afield or get consumed by animals. Hopefully something will eat those fish and they just don’t have their eyes pecked out by seagulls and rot.
Other critters get to eat I suppose. It's just weird to me.
Reactions: Papa Liver
how many in your group?
Every spring we fish the C&R season in a creek that shall remain nameless. It’s nothing for our group to catch 1,000 plus smallies in a day and a half.
It varies from 6-10. This past May there was 10 of us the first day and down to 7 the second day which we only fished a few hours after the rain. Between us all we probably caught 1200+/-. I probably caught 400 give or take in a day and a half.

how many in your group?
Reactions: ThreeDogsDown
1 - 20 of 120 Posts