Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I've been saying for the past several years that magnums aren't nearly as necessary today as they once were. With the latest bullets and powders out, performance of many current non-magnum cartridges has improved to what factory ammo is for the magnums today. This is assuming ammunition is hand loaded. My .284 outperforms all factory 7mm mag ammo. I own magnums and love them but these are built for ELR mostly and much larger game animals at long ranges. Somewhat of a specialty cartridge than an all around multi game cartridge.
Yup, I feel confident that a bonded Nosler partition, federal fusion, or a copper monolithic .30 caliber bullet out of my .30-06 will kill anything dead in its tracks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I am, was a Weatherby guy. Fooled around with Bergara...loved em.... But once I got my greasy little fingers on the Winchester 70..... I fell in love. Additionally I fell in love with the Wsm's. I was late to the game but the 270 and 300 WSM are all I use now. Shorter barrel, 1/3 less recoil that their parents and no barrel heat up.
The controlled action beats any 700 hands down.

Match them up with a Winchester deer season XP......you will be a minister of death praying for war.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looking for something that can be used for multiple species. Live in S Michigan and use the 350 and my bow. Want something I can use up north for deer or maybe a trip or 2 out of state elk in the future. What caliber 308, 7mm08, 270? Others? Brands people prefer?
Last year I bought a Browning X Bolt Medallion left hand in a.30-06, I wanted it in a .308 because I like the short throw of the bolt and the ballistics are so similar but it wasn't available because of Covid shutdowns. For myself, I stay away from magnums they kick hard and are expensive to shoot if you go to the range often. The other cal. 7mm-08 is also a good choice, I've been elk hunting 2xs, but haven't shot one yet, maybe this year. When I talked to guides in camp and we talk about calibers they do nod to a .243, (within range)I have one and shoot whitetails with it and use a 100gr Nosler Partition, wow does that put a hole in them I am going down to an 87gr. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Last year I bought a Browning X Bolt Medallion left hand in a.30-06, I wanted it in a .308 because I like the short throw of the bolt and the ballistics are so similar but it wasn't available because of Covid shutdowns. For myself, I stay away from magnums they kick hard and are expensive to shoot if you go to the range often. The other cal. 7mm-08 is also a good choice, I've been elk hunting 2xs, but haven't shot one yet, maybe this year. When I talked to guides in camp and we talk about calibers they do nod to a .243, (within range)I have one and shoot whitetails with it and use a 100gr Nosler Partition, wow does that put a hole in them I am going down to an 87gr. Good luck!
I have a 6mm, so .244. Never thought it could be used for elk. Maybe I'm wrong? I don't really plan to snipe them from the next zip code lol. Biggest issue with the 6mm is ammo... almost non existent

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 6mm, so .244. Never thought it could be used for elk. Maybe I'm wrong? I don't really plan to snipe them from the next zip code lol. Biggest issue with the 6mm is ammo... almost non existent
I shoot Barnes TSX bullets out of my .243 and they perform way above caliber. I have little doubt they have enough penetration for elk on broadside shots. I'm sure plenty of elk have been taken with 6mms. Heck, Bob Milek shot them with his 6mm-.223 Contender. That said, it wouldn't be my pick for a rare and expensive out of state hunt.

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
A 300 win mag will do everything you want it to do and more. It will knock down everything in NA and every plains game animal in Africa. Browning X bolt with 180g bullet.
...and it will knock down (backwards) nearly anyone who shoots it as well LOL - plus the ammo is incredibly expensive. Shot one of my buddies' once and found no need to buy one of my own.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I am, was a Weatherby guy. Fooled around with Bergara...loved em.... But once I got my greasy little fingers on the Winchester 70..... I fell in love. Additionally I fell in love with the Wsm's. I was late to the game but the 270 and 300 WSM are all I use now. Shorter barrel, 1/3 less recoil that their parents and no barrel heat up.
The controlled action beats any 700 hands down.

Match them up with a Winchester deer season XP......you will be a minister of death praying for war.
No barrel heat up ??? That's a good one.

·
Registered
497 Posts
No barrel heat up ??? That's a good one.

Do you own a 300 mag and 300 WSM, a 270, a 270 WSM, and multiple other magnum cartridges. I do.

Do you take the time to cool off a hot barrel between shots and use a temp gun. I do.

I'm not asking you ..Im telling you. A standard magnum rifle is hot after the first shot and hot enough to drastically (definition based on desired results) change hit point on the third shot.

A WSM has a completely different powder than standard cartridges. The barrel is still cool to the touch at three shots and I don't stop shooting until after the 5th shot.

But I'm sure you know better than me. Heck just Google it. It's out there.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Do you own a 300 mag and 300 WSM, a 270, a 270 WSM, and multiple other magnum cartridges. I do.

Do you take the time to cool off a hot barrel between shots and use a temp gun. I do.

I'm not asking you ..Im telling you. A standard magnum rifle is hot after the first shot and hot enough to drastically (definition based on desired results) change hit point on the third shot.

A WSM has a completely different powder than standard cartridges. The barrel is still cool to the touch at three shots and I don't stop shooting until after the 5th shot.

But I'm sure you know better than me. Heck just Google it. It's out there.
Your statement was "No barrel heat up". Not after 5 shots I stop for cooling. That I would agree with. I don't care what powder you use in a cartridge (any cartridge), barrels heat up. To say otherwise is simply inaccurate. Yes I do own a 270 WSM and I reload. I use 6 different powders. A few of what I use in my 6.5-284 and .257 cartridges. They ALL heat barrels. Especially pushing bullets over 3K with high volume small caliber cartridges. I too shot short strings to eliminate heating up a barrel. For accuracy, it's important. My disagreeing wasn't to start an argument, it was because it's not accurate information. BTW... I own a 270 Win also and my 270 WSM heats up more than the 270Win. My 300WM also heats up no worse or better than the 270WSM.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I'm wrong alot. Have no issue admitting it. I'm learning new stuff all the time. Guess I always will. I learned that fact years ago in shooting. Barrels heat up no matter what. Slowing the process down can be done based on the cartridge and velocity of the projectile. Basically the only two real ways to make it happen. Lots of powder and velocity comes at an expense. Heat and throat erosion. Can't ever dodge those two negatives. I don't claim to know everything, only what I've experienced. Hope this helps others.

·
Premium Member
12,919 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Nice rug! I don't think this hi-jacking. I've shot several Bears, countless Deer, Caribou, and a
Moose. All with a 30/06 180gr. Corelokt. Are the fancier bullets really necessary?
Core lokt bullets are good bullets despite popular belief. It's bonded and like they say " The deadliest mushroom in the woods"

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I agree. They are also pretty consistent and accurate, and cheap. Back in the day, Finn Aagaard (respected African PH) used them as a benchmark to compare all other bullets.
Personally they only shoot good in my BAR 270 and Rem 742 30/06 (good meaning 1.5" groups). I prefer Nosler partitions just because they are more accurate for my personal rifles. Bonded bullets all the way

61 - 80 of 115 Posts