Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
5,457 Posts

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,430 Posts
Looking for something that can be used for multiple species. Live in S Michigan and use the 350 and my bow. Want something I can use up north for deer or maybe a trip or 2 out of state elk in the future. What caliber 308, 7mm08, 270? Others? Brands people prefer?
Good discussion; I would expect no less from this crew as I've learned a lot over the years from many on here. Everyone has at least 2 cents and here's mine:

Both Tikka T3 and Winchester Model 70 were recommended. I own one of each and love them both. Don't think you can go wrong with either. In any event use a considerable portion of your budget for good glass

Caliber - Can't really add anything substantial to what's already been said. I like my 7mm-08 a lot and it would likely be fine out west for shots under 300 yards, but this fall I'm taking my 7mm Rem Mag to Montana mainly because that's what I bought if for years ago for very good reasons and the time has finally come. That's about as much recoil as I want to deal with. I do have this hopeful notion of hunting in the timber out there someday and carrying my Marlin 45-70 for closer shots.

Like others have said use a quality bullet, hit the vitals, and then get ready for the real work to begin - Good Luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looking for something that can be used for multiple species. Live in S Michigan and use the 350 and my bow. Want something I can use up north for deer or maybe a trip or 2 out of state elk in the future. What caliber 308, 7mm08, 270? Others? Brands people prefer?
That would solely depend on what game you'd be after. What platform you are wanting. The 350 or 450 Bushmaster will handle Deer, Bear, Elk the 450 Moose. You shooting 200 yards as here i Michigan or 400 yards out west? The 35 Whelen will handle most anything out to 400 yards. Enough so it has been used in Africa. I know, there will be guys crying they can shoot 600-800 yards. On a windy day down hill. Takes more than saying to do it though. 6.5 x 55 is a hard caliber to beat also. It's not as much about power given the ranges you'll shoot at as it is about the shot placement. Big calibers make up for poor shots.. Be warned though 7mm Rem Mag, 270 or 300 Weatherby Mag along with a few others carry a premium price tag on ammo. In the range of $7.00 per round for factory loads. 270WSM will do just fine to 400 plus yards and the recoil isn't as stiff as an overbore caliber like the Weatherby.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an Icon Weathershield in .308 that I'm thinking about parting with. It's an excellent rifle but I have too many and am downsizing. Having a tough time deciding what makes the cut.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you want something that is accurate right out of the box buy a Thompson Center Icon in the caliber of your choice. Production stopped about a decade ago but NIB ones are out there. 7mm-08 is the holy grail since it was a limited production model.
I have an Icon Weathershield in .308 that I'm thinking about parting with. It's an excellent rifle but I have too many and am downsizing. Having a tough time deciding what makes the cut.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For an everything gun get a 300win mag elk mule deer antelope & just use barnes 175gr lrx bullets great elk medicine been out west numerous times

·
Registered
40,142 Posts
Me too, it’s my Michigan deer rifle of choice. I also have a 243 Winchester along with a 30TC blued with wood stock. Great adjustable trigger.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Just went thru this for a gun for my wife. Was thinking about a Savage 110 .270, but she found a Tikka T3x in .308 that she loved, so we got it.
View attachment 846329
Might go back for that 270 Savage for myself…

Mike
Go back and buy another Tikka in 270 and then thank me later..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Me too, it’s my Michigan deer rifle of choice. I also have a 243 Winchester along with a 30TC blued with wood stock. Great adjustable trigger.
It really is a fantastic rifle that has all the great features of the classic bolt guns all in one. My only gripe, especially now that I’m older, is that it’s a little porky for long humps. But that attribute also makes it one the most soft-shooting .308s in the stable. Sweet shooter. Maybe I won’t part with it:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lots of good rifles out there today. we are very spoiled as a consumer with choices we have. in that price range my short list in order is Winchester Model 70 Supergrade or extreme weather, Weatherby Vanguard, Bergara B14, Browning XBolt. Cartridges there is a lot good choices for that. I would only consider Magnums if your shooting past 400 to 600 yards at elk otherwise its a waste of money and recoil. My choices would be 270 Winchester 7mm08, 7mm Magnum, 30-06 in that order and I would be happy with any of those. Unless you are a reloader stay away from the special cartridges like PRC's, Noslers, and Weatherby's. I will be first to admit the PRC's and Noslers and Weatherby's are superior in flat shooting and long distance but it comes with a price of I high recoil and expensive ammo and guns designed to handle that recoil. If you really needed that type of performance for the hunting you were doing you would already know that and be experienced enough to be doing it. A gun designed for specifically that as a second rifle makes a lot more sense. If I could keep one rifle it would this below. Winchester Model 70 270 Supergrade with Leopold vx5 HD 2x10 CDS fire dot. FYI, i didnt think this was my main choice until i went and handled a bunch of them. Before I purchased i was set on a Weatherby Mark 5 or Browning X Bolt or Christensen Arms. After using them the pick was easy for me. The Model 70 just feels right in the hands, on the grip, cheek, weight distribution, handle and trigger. Your opinion may vary so i encourage at a minimum at least try to handle a bunch of different ones in the stores or friends. FYI, on used market, if you can find some early older like early 1980's Remington Model 700's BDL you would be in a happy place also.

Hood Sleeve Waist Sunglasses Eyewear

·
Registered
807 Posts
Jesse Hullihe said:
If I could keep one rifle it would this below. Winchester Model 70...
The rifleman's rifle. (y)

41 - 60 of 115 Posts