Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for something that can be used for multiple species. Live in S Michigan and use the 350 and my bow. Want something I can use up north for deer or maybe a trip or 2 out of state elk in the future. What caliber 308, 7mm08, 270? Others? Brands people prefer?

·
Premium Member
14,344 Posts
300 Weatherby is my favorite but you can’t go wrong with that 7mm either. I use both here in Michigan and on some western hunts also.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking for something reliable, that will last. Doesn't have to be fancy. Price preferred around 1000 to 1500. No other specific requirements

·
Registered
810 Posts
Looking for something reliable, that will last. Doesn't have to be fancy. Price preferred around 1000 to 1500. No other specific requirements
Classic Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .308, should be able to find one for under $1K with some smart shopping. No synthetic, no cryogenic carbon fiber whatever, nothing gimmicky, just a great proven rifle that'll take any game you're interested in. Pretty much the definition of "something reliable, that will last."

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Classic Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .308, should be able to find one for under $1K with some smart shopping. No synthetic, no cryogenic carbon fiber whatever, nothing gimmicky, just a great proven rifle that'll take any game you're interested in. Pretty much the definition of "something reliable, that will last."

Thats my style there!!

·
Registered
14,824 Posts

This is my every day deer gun. I prefer the .30-06 for the variety of load options. My kids shot this gun when they were very young with managed recoil loads and the lighter thinner barrel. I carry it because it is lightweight and i like the look of it.

That being said it isn't anywhere near as accurate/consistent as my ruger m77's. They are heavier guns but they have longer thicker barrels with a better bolt. I know it might be splitting hairs it isnt like the groupings are bad in the model 70. I just cant clover leave a 3 shot group like I can with the two the rugers i own. I have inferior scopes on the rugers as well compared to the winchester.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Looking for something that can be used for multiple species. Live in S Michigan and use the 350 and my bow. Want something I can use up north for deer or maybe a trip or 2 out of state elk in the future. What caliber 308, 7mm08, 270? Others? Brands people prefer?
If you wouldn't have stated out of state Elk, I'd have said any of the cartridges you listed would be perfectly fine. Not to say the .270 wouldn't be but since you do not have the rifle, I'd recommend something a little bigger in both bullet and case capacity. I'm building a 300PRC improved just for larger deer species. Having a 338 LM improved, I still felt like a 30 caliber is a bit better ( less recoil, less muzzle blast ). I'm building it for 225/230 grain bullets. Elk and moose would be the main use for this build besides LR steel banging. The 300PRC is offered by many gun manufacturers. The 300WM is basically the twin performance wise. Cartridge design wins with the PRC for loading longer heavier bullets. Just my .02. Good luck

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I would highly recommend 7mm Rem Magnum if elk is part of the plan. Ammo is still available on a pretty regular basis. I’m considering another one before my next elk hunt, I probably would go with a Weatherby Vanguard, with some consideration for a Browning X Bolt.
Dittos for the 7MM Rem Mag. I have a custom built on a blueprinted Rem 700 action; Hart, McMillan, etc. It works great on speed goats, mule deer plus elk Out West . And also from a tower blind for long shots in farmland country ie. "bean field rifle". It's the biggest rifle that most guys can shoot comfortably and accurately. And you don't need anything bigger for the game mentioned above.

·
Registered
40,163 Posts
If you want something that is accurate right out of the box buy a Thompson Center Icon in the caliber of your choice. Production stopped about a decade ago but NIB ones are out there. 7mm-08 is the holy grail since it was a limited production model.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Personally I like a single shot rifle. I have a couple 30-06 Remington bolts, but my favorite is my Henry single shot in .243 for Michigan deer up north. I had the trigger worked down to 3 and oh what a sweet shooter. I want to get my hands on the 350 L when it's available for zone 3.
All of the other posts have excellent choices. Good luck with your find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
30-06 is still the best all around cartridge out there. It’s just so boringly good at it’s job that people get tired of it. Like eating oatmeal every morning I suppose. Most guys can handle the recoil, out to reasonable ranges (350 yards or so) it’s plenty on elk, and you can find ammo everywhere. Tons of western hunters use it for elk. Eastern hunters tend to like magnums better for some reason. It’s overkill on Michigan whitetail but it certainly does the job well.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts