Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to this forum so i would like to start by saying hello to all of you. So later this month i will be going up to a friends cabin on Walloon Lake. I've never been to Wallon before so I'm looking for some tips on fishing this lake. I plan on targeting Walleye so if anyone has any tips on Wallon that would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just wondering how your fishing trip went on Walloon(if you've gone yet)? My inlaws have a cabin there too and I've fished that lake a ton, have yet to catch an eye in it. Everyone that I know fishes it for smallies and trout.
I've given up on ice fishing it, instead I just drive over to Lake Charlevoix and fish there. Good luck on your trip!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am actually leaving today. I had just heard about the DNR stocking it with walleye but I didn't know if anyone ever catches them. I also had heard that the pike fishing was OK. If you wouldn't mind me asking do you have any tips for fishing the smallies and the trout? I've never really been much of a small mouth fisherman so it would greatly help. I'm really just looking to catch fish there no matter what species

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
95 Posts
As far as the trout are concerned, I can't help you much. I am not really set up to do any fishing for them. For the the smallmouths I have had OK results in the little "bay" where Camp Sherwood dead ends(west side of the lake). Also had a little luck up in Mud Lake(west arm, furthest north) for largemouths. You have be be careful with your prop getting through the little channel to get to it, it gets very shallow and there are some hidden stumps but if you're paying attention you should be fine. My go-to for both bass is either a KVD Coffee Tube or JSR-5 and/or 7 in crawdad(jointed shad rap). Used these this past weekend up north and did very well. Let me know how it goes, I'm usually up there every other weekend in July/August.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
I am actually leaving today. I had just heard about the DNR stocking it with walleye but I didn't know if anyone ever catches them. I also had heard that the pike fishing was OK. If you wouldn't mind me asking do you have any tips for fishing the smallies and the trout? I've never really been much of a small mouth fisherman so it would greatly help. I'm really just looking to catch fish there no matter what species

I've been fishing it the last year or so for walleyes, and it's been a tough learning experience but I've been picking up generally 1 or 2 per trip. I think everyone that I've caught has been on a bottom bouncer dragging meat.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice I will start out trying all of that. We have some kids coming up too and I would like to get them at least some kind of fish. Of heard that perch fishing was ok up there also so maybe I will try perch fishing with the

·
Banned
114 Posts
Launch at the Stolt Road road access site. Fish in 50 fow in front of the Sumner access, Jones landing, and Modford road if you want walleye!! Slaying them there!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys! I have caught a couple of walleye in 50 fow and have had a lot of luck on smallies. We are in a cove off of Hoffman point and we anchor right at the drop off at about 15 FOW. They have been hitting anything, caught a nice 16.5 in smallie yesterday

·
Registered
95 Posts
Youngfish,
That's awesome, what are you catching the walleye on if you don't mind me asking? I'll be heading up in a couple of weeks and want to get away from the in-laws for an afternoon of fishing. Thanks a lot!

·
Banned
114 Posts
Hot n tots, j-9s, and X-raps on lead core. Heavy Bottom bouncers with Crawler harnesses have also been going. Every thing behind boards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, I spend my summers on walloon lake. Im looking to spend a lot of time shore fishing this summer for small and large mouth bass. Any tips for shallow water fishing on this lake.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey all, I spend my summers on walloon lake. Im looking to spend a lot of time shore fishing this summer for small and large mouth bass. Any tips for shallow water fishing on this lake.

Thanks!!
They were up on the sand in the mornings and evenings sometime, try spinnerbaits into shore that worked okay for me. I caught the most bass by trolling a crawler harness on dropoffs as well as casting crank baits and spinnerbaits

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
150 Posts
ther are some hog smallies in there. i am sure u can catch a few fish from shore, but even just a 12 ft boat with some oars is going to put ALOT MORE FISH on the end of your line. water is VERY clear so just go out till u see the drop off and toss the anchor.start fan casting for a half hour, pull anchor, drift a 100 yards and repeat. you meet have to deal with some pesky walleyes!:chillin: we have caught alot of smallies fishing walleyes and both liked chartreuse. real good crank has been a rapala flat rap size 10. chrome and chartreuse color. good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts