Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the walleyes are starting to stage on hubbard lake. they are catching fish in the southwest and southeast sides of the lake. look for fish to be just off the drops out from both the west branch river and sucker creek.
also some larger perch are starting to move into east bay.
tip-ups and jigs for the walleye and wigglers and minnows for the perch.
ice is as good as it has been all winter. 8" to 10" of good ice with soft stuff on top of that.
there is some slush along shore where the snow has piled up, but once you are through that the running is really good. atv's are not having any trouble getting around on the ice. i still would not recommend driving cars and trucks on the lake.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was out tonight and did well on the 'eyes:D . Lots of room out there, not many guys fishing. The ice is finally easier to get around on for a change. Still plenty of ice, just watch where you are going as I still saw some slush spots by the shore. Gonna go try to get some perch tomorrow night if I get back in time. A couple of my buddies caught some of those magnum perch today in the bay and I want to hook up on a couple so I can have DZ mount them. Wish me luck. Maybe see you guys at the Birch Run fishing show tomorrow, east bay ed and I are heading down there in the morning. Meeting the "GANG" at around 1:30pm. BOLO

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
BOLO; How long was those magnums perch? Keep the reports comming. I'm working on my brother-n-law and just about got him talk into trying Hubbard late ice.

·
Registered
180 Posts
15" inch range, nice fat footballs. I would settle for some 12" or better, I am not picky.:D Got some snow last night, about 1 1/2" of the packy stuff. BOLO

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just got off the Lake. No luck at all. Fished the East Bay anywhere from 6' of water to 12' of water. Nothing. Hooked one perch about 7 inches long and that was the end of our day. Where are these so called magnum perch i keep hearing about???

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jon,
i will tell you the same thing i tell everyone, if you are looking for a 15" perch it is like shooting a 160" buck. i have been to both iowa and mannitoba and both areas hold plenty of 160+" bucks but you have to be there at the right time and right place. just ask the guys who fished last years outing. we all fished the same area with about 60 people or so fishing and seen two big perch get caught. i know there were a lot more then two of those fish down there but only two bit.
i live here and fish hubbard a lot but have never got one. my dad and my brother both have a couple and a friend of mine has six on his wall. you have to put in you time and move around.
i would work from the boat ramp north to holcomb creek.
i do know that during the week we had a couple guys that did well monday thru friday, well until the wind blew them off friday.
you can't expect to shoot a trophy buck every time out, just put in your time and fish the lake hard and you will get your mounter.

also, if it were me i would try to fish for those bigger perch early in the day. i don't know what time you hit the ice, but i left at 10:45 or so and no one had been in yet.

·
Registered
180 Posts
jon, I just talked to my neighbor and his son was out in one of eds shanties yeterday. He said he brought home around 25 eaters and saw several big fish but couldn't get them to bite. Guess its just right place, right time. He was in the big brown shanty just out from the launch. We didn't get home until around 7pm from downstate so I didn't go out, maybe tonight? Better luck next time. BOLO

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I was out Saturday morning til about 2. on the southwest side - fish 13 to 45 fow - nothing on flags, jigging and saw nothing on the vex. Must have been at the right place at the wrong time, or wrong place at the right time, or maybe the wrong place at the wrong time:( Did talk to some guys coming from sucker creek that picked up one perch and three walleye in the morning. We stuck close to home Saturday afternoon (west side off the launch) and managed one throw back walleye in 50 fow. Weather was pretty crappy most of Saturday -

·
Registered
585 Posts
I usually dont expect to do great everytime out on the ice. But this winter has been just frustraiting. I have prolly fished the hardest i've ever ice fished this winter with the least amount of luck. Too many hours for only three walleye all season? Doesnt seem worth all the money i'm puttin into the sport. Well after next weekend its time to hang up the auger and get ready for spring when i can actually consistantly catch some fish.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jon, no doubt about it this is the slowest winter for eye's that i have ever seen. the biggest problem we can figure was the lack of mobility out on the lakes. walleye are almost always moving and if you can't move around and find them you are screwed. you either land on their heads or you don't catch anything.
even saginaw bay has been really hit or miss and they figure the fish population is way up there.
the ice will be gone in another month or so.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I think Ed's got a point here - it's been feast or famon, with only one feast for my efforts. I would have been a lot more mobile if not for the slush. In fact, I would have gotten alot more fishing in if not for the slush - spent almost a whole weekend doing nothing but trying to get sleds un-stuck. We did "land on top" of them one weekend and did very well. I've talked to some other folks that did the same earlier in the season - 3 out of 4 guys limiting on some good sizes in one morning kind of kills any theories of difficult fish. I was pretty happy to see things had actually gotten better (mobility wise) last weekend. We should have tried some more spots, but got distracted with other things. There's still a week of walleye season available for redemption - and probably a couple weeks of good ice. I've got at least enough points in the vault for another weekend pass - I plan to collect this weekend. See you on the ice;)

·
Premium Member
29,962 Posts
Originally posted by East Shore Jon
Where are these so called magnum perch i keep hearing about??? [/B]
If you want one of those jon, try Harbor Beach in early May. you may even get 10 or 15 of them if you find the right spot;)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
f.f.,
i hate to do this to you. i talk to a friend of mine who fished the mouth of the west branch last night and he said while he only got some perch there was a group of guys fishing the same basic spot you guys did a couple weeks ago, when you got on some eyes, and they did really well. he is going out tonight in the river mouth with jack spoons and actually target those bigger perch. i guess his camera was showing a bunch of good size perch, but all he caught was 8" to 10" perch. then before dark he is planning on running up the shore line to go after walleye.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Ed
I plan on coming up on Friday morning, and fishing the weekend with fishfoote. Are the ice conditions good enough for snowmobiles? I was planning on going off of the south side either at the DNR ramp or the one near Lens. What would you suggest? Are wigglers the hot bait this time of year?
Thanks for the info!…..see you Friday.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Those guys didn't go into the area I roped off did they:D I've got some thoughts for spots this weekend, southwest was just one of them - I don't mind fishing with others. I'll have to call around, I probably know someone in the group that was out there. I'm also thinking about trying some night crawlers - seen some posts that make it worth a try - Ed, got crawlers?:D

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
f.factor,
ice is still really good. we are getting a little snow now so it should be easy to get around on a sled. if you are on that southwest side there is a big wiggler bed so that might work well for both walleye and perch.

f.f.
i don't have any nightcrawlers this time of year. if you can get on those fish you should do really well. i remember few years ago we got into them off bingham landing and it was like catching trout in a pond. you had to pull your tip-ups out because there was no way to man two lines at one time. maybe it will be that way this year?

·
Registered
713 Posts
East Bay Ed, Just wondering if you can get around on a three wheeler? All my ice is gone here in standish!! Ahhhhh its over.
We may head up if theres decent ice. Also can we get to where its productive by three wheeler. Thanks alot

Jamie King

[email protected]

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am sure ed will reply in the morning, but I don't think you will have a problem. Not much snow on the ice now. I havn't been out since last weekend, ed will be out tomorrow taking some shanties off the lake so he will have the scoop. Good luck if you decide to come up, I am going to be busy parenting all weekend. I won't be able to get out.:( BOLO

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you should have no problems with the 3 wheeler.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts