Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody had good walleye jigging tips when using a sweedish pimple and a buckshot.

thanks for the help
redneck dude

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Vary your presentation, if nothing is happening, hammer it off them bottom to stir it up a bit. If your on the river, use heavy enough to maintain a vertical presentation. On the bay or inland keep the lures on the small side. If you have a vexilar, let that you want kind of presentation they want.

·
Registered
815 Posts
:confused: Are you guys using a shiner on the buckshots or bare for the river (saginaw)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have become very confident with raps, instead of pumping them i move my rod from side to side about the with of the hole as to rock the bait back and forth

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I use Buckshots on the River ALOT ! I seem to have better luck running the lures clean. But, somedays tipped with a minnow head will work better. I start out clean and add a salted minnow head if needed. Same goes for Raps too. Bob

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I typically start out with a buckshot of various sizes and colors depending on conditions. My method is to start off tipped with a whole minnow, short "snap" jigging motion (6" "snap" upward, controlled drop). When the electronics tell me I have activity below, I'll cease jigging and usually remain motionless. Perhaps a VERY small "quiver" action to the lure when the fish are examining. Of course, the fish response will dictate if this method becomes altered, but that's my usual starting point. Good luck. :fish2:

·
Registered
833 Posts
The past couple of years I've been fishing the Irish Hills area a lot for Walleye's and been having pretty good success. I like to find weedbeds in fairly shallow water 5-7' actually. I'll set a tip-up right on the edge, red main hook with a tiny treble stinger and about a 3-4" blue or emerald shiner. Then I start moving around the area I have the tip-up set in and jig using a small rap in whatever color I think is best for the lake. Water clarity has a lot to do with which color I pick. Pretty effective for me at least. Very early morning, just before the sun comes up and right at dusk until about an hour after sunset are my most effective times.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
For cloudy water do you use like a firetiger, and for clearer water do you use like a natural color? That is what i have been told but not for sure if that is right.

Redneckman

·
Registered
833 Posts
Redneckman, you've got the color thing down exactly. Natural colors in clear water, brights and fluorescents in cloudy water. I'm a big fan of the classic blue/silver rap.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I still have some of the classic raps before they had the chrome finishes. The old black over white and black over gold, Caught a ton of fish on those two colors before we started custom painting our own. Then came the orange over gold and chartreuse followed by the blue/chrome, firetiger and new colors. Still a great bait.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
i have caught more walleye on raps than any other lure.they work best at twilight than any other time.chart/firetiger , black silver ,or perch are good bets.i use a minnow on the bottom hook ,especially if you can get blue shiners. the snap jigging attracts active fish.i will on occasion use a pimple when the fish are less active or a do-jigger. it makes a good dead rod.let the bait do the work.the last year or so, i have been using just a fresh torn minnow head with a bit of guts or skin dangling . it makes a good quiver presentation.just jiggle the rod a bit for inactive fish.the fresh torn minnow scent makes them commit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts