Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tied two dozen spinner rigs for walleye trolling to be used with nightcrawlers and only made them about a foot long from back hook to loop end.....I was just reading a catalog and they make theirs 4 feet long. My question, do I re-make my harnesses longer, or is one foot acceptable?
thank you, Mac

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help...will tie longer tonight. I appreciate your input and information...thanks again, Mac

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Scotty your right Mott Lake will eat them up in a couple of weeks. Quite a few stumps in that lake, you will have to show me how to fish that lake without loosing a lot of gear.;) Baydog

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you are not loosen bait and tackle you ain'tf fish'in were the fish are. Sometimes I use harnesses that are 18" in Erie.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If you are draggin, I like mine about 3 feet, if you casting, I use about 18 inches, if you trolling i like longer and i try various lengths from 3-5 feet

Corey

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
ScottyHoover, I see you have tied up some rigs using the "chopper" style blades, what do you think of them ? Any noticeable difference in performance or "fish calling" ability than Colorados or Indianas ? I just picked a few up from Gander Mtn. yesterday and are going to tie few rigs up with them. I tie all my own rigs now, spinners and harnesses. I'll have to post a pic of a few I've done. :) :cool:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Whale
I have had pertty good luck from time to time on the hatchet style blades in the bay. You can run these blades a little faster. I done real well with them tied behind Pa's on about 20" leaders.

Good Fishing
Tim

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some of the locals here in Tennessee are putting a fair sized split shot just ahead of the swivel.....for Rice Lake, Ontario...should I be doing that or putting a dropper line down from the swivel, say two feet or so and then adding the shot to that? As you can see, I'm quite in the dark about walleye.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have never fished walleye on Rice lake so it is hard to tell you what to do, but you can fish spinner rigs anywhere in the water column and have great success with them. I usally fish them with bottom bouncers or 3 way rigs when I am targeting fish on the bottom. I like split shots a few ahead of the rig if I am fishing them in the weeds or over the top of them and if fish are suspended over open flats I use snap weights to target those fish.

Good Fishing

Tim

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I ALSO HAVE A ?

I have never fished the big lakes or rivers and was wondering what 1 might need for walleye off the wall on the SCR?

Would one of these rigs work or what will? and what kind of weight do you recomend?

All of my fishing is from the wall or docks as I dont have a boat.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
SMILEY

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Thanks TK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts