Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walleye season brings uncertainty on Lake Erie

The two-month closure in Michigan is controversial, and the controversy likely will increase next month, when Ontario decides what it will do about the commercial quota that accounts for 95 percent of the province's walleye catch.
Wayne Banycky, a charter captain who fishes walleyes out of Ohio ports in spring, said the new rules mean "that I'll see 1,000 more boats fishing around me, because with Michigan closed in May, all of those guys are going to come to Ohio waters."

http://www.freep.com/sports/outdoors/eric18_20040318.htm

·
Registered
276 Posts
i think that completely closing the michigan waters is a little extreme with our neighbors still being open. for example the maumee river is still open but has a new size limit 15 inches where the size limit was non existent before. we are allowed 3 fish instead of 4 as like last year. i don't mind the chaanges as i still get a few fish to stink the pan and can still enjoy fishing for the eyes, which is my main objective, i would probably still mak ethe voyage to the maumee for catch and release only, i just love to catch them eyes. also we must consider our friends and neighbors who own charter boats,marinas,bait stores, hotels,etc. and how this may effect their economy which at the time is still struggling. closing the season completely, a little harsh, i think that some other regs could have been set such as slot limits,lower limits,time restrictions(as used in the maumee) and maybe some spawning area refuges as they do with the lake trout.i know the maumee gets a huge run of fish, probably in the millions and a odnr biologist i happened to be fishing with last year told me that roughly two percent of the west eerie basin fish use this river to spawn the rest use the reefs,detroit river,and other smaller tributaries.if his numbers are correct that leaves a lot of fish in that lake. well i am out of breath, so with that hamilton reef that youfor putting a little fuel on the fire and getting this subject out.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I've heard of some charter captains from MI. that will chartering out of ohio ports and also running over to Ohio, out of MI ports. So it will be casters vs. trollers. Good luck fellas. LOL:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
well if all of them fish migrate into the detroit river, why is that river still open to fishing? as for running to ohio waters ? for this charter guy its salmon fishing time. Ill be back in June. This cant be good for the economy. Politics should leave fishin alone.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I agree with Second wind, politicians should not be in on these types of decisions. I also believe that fisherman that utilized Lake Erie during April and May in past years have been totally taken for a ride, not to mention those people who depend on this for part of their income. I cannot believe that this closure was based on any scientific evidence. If it is, why is Ohio still open? Michigan waters make up a pretty small slice of the lake, and I just cannot see Michigan fisherman making that big of an impact. The guys hauling the spawners out of the Detroit river have to have a bigger impact than the lake fisherman.

Say ya to da U.P., eh?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I got information that fisherman in the det river only take between 2 and 5 percent of the river walleye and commercial netters do not fish the river. I think this is the reason they didn't close fishing on the Det river.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a nice conversation with lake Erie Charter Boat Association yesteyday. The reason we have a closure for Lake Erie,Michigan waters this season is last season Michigan anglers went over there catch quota. The reason the Detroit River is open is that those fish are not counted against the Lake Erie quota. So its all politics.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Second Wind....You really need to read up on the subject and not base your posts on hear say from a charter boat captain. The MDNR decision to close Erie in April and May was based on a requirement from the Lake Erie Consortium to which Michigan belongs, along with Ohio, Pennsylvania and Ontario, to reduce the walleye harvest by 60% due to very poor hatches in 2000 and 2002. I would not call the decision they made political. However they chose to respond to the 60% harvest reduction, somebody would not have been happy.

I also have never seen or heard it reported that Michigan exceeded its quota of walleye in Erie in 2003. Did you see this in writing or is it more hear say from the Charter Boat Association guy? Just curious.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
RickP. Ya got to give Second Wind A little break . I like to hear the official reasoning behind decisions , but as we all know The officials don't always give the us all the information. Its nice to hear other points of view especially from others that these changes will most effect. Sit back, enjoy and sort out what you think is credible information.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
John keep them comming. I don't care if is't about fishing tactics or fishing politics, Someone will always have a diffrent oppinion. I as in most enjoy hearing all sides, especially if it is dealing with something as important that affects so many .

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yeah.....I like all sides of the story too ....... I hear all different opinions too. Maybe if we all have facts from somewhere we can all be informed....or confused.....err uhh....or something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts