Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
I'm signed up. Been wanting to do this school for years. Can I catch fish when the fish are biting? Absolutely. In fact I've been known on occasion to catch them when the bite was tough. But these guys catch them when no one else is. Mark has forgotten more than I will ever know about walleye fishing. The devil is in the details and he is the king of small details that add up to productive days. $200/day is worth that experience for me

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
$800 to tell me my gear sucks, then give em a boat ride so they can catch fish..
-$400 that's a normal weekend when I take my wife out fishing.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I've been to seminars that Mark has presented at. I have somehow managed gleen more than "My gear sucks". One of his pro's for this school taught me 2 tricks for fishing West side walleyes in a 45 minute seminar that drastically improved my success. 3 hours spent has had a major impact on my walleye success. Excited to see what improvement 4 full days brings

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
what are you into?
Rolling my own baby. Not pot but I enjoy the satisfaction of doing things on my own and figuring stuff out by myself. I could never go on a guided hunt or fishing trip and have any sort of satisfaction. Especially love public land deer hunting. I struggled for the first time on the bay last year due to knee replacement and not being able to go much. In my humble opinion walleye catching is not that hard, the hard part is finding them and staying on them. Most guys can catch em if they can find em imo.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,807 Posts
@tgafish
LMK how it goes Tom...
I've got an old book from the 80's (I think) from a seminar of Mark's. Was held next to Wyoming Gun & Tackle in the pizza joint. Don't recall if it was paid by WG&T or we flipped over something like $20. Mark's a pretty genuine guy and well, you know how he is. 😉
Fill me in on anything ground breaking and hopefully you can pass on something we both may have forgotten!
🙂✌

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Cant someone just post the coles notes version if we all chip in like 5 bucks? I have a book by Mark thats decent but was written pretty haphazardly, I might read again to get some more tips, hes definitely got alot of knowledge up there he tries to get out, just IMO not the best communicator...the guy can really go off on a tangent lol!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Never met the guy, but have met a few guys along the way, killers! Fish & Deer, it’s like certain guys it just clicks with and the details they remember and follow, most of us could never put it all together. Habitat boot camps were beneficial to me, can’t see any point in consistently doing it wrong, a guy is only blessed with so many seasons.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,807 Posts
True story, a guy is only blessed with so many seasons indeed!
EVERYONE...

Use your little time on this planet wisely and as well as you can. Money is only "one measure" of how rich one's life can be...

There's always room to learn more, and if we go off on a tangent along the way it just could be another way to learn something else we didn't know.

The more people pay it forward, the more they enrich the entire world for everyone.

I've never boasted about whether or not I'm a fair, decent or good fisherman and I have picked up a few things over the years - I don't really have any secrets and will tell folks just about anything I'm asked about. Why? To help a fellow sportsman...
In a hypothetical situation, if Mark Martin approached one of us for a fishing report or asked for tips, would you help or hinder? 😉
I know my answer; and for me the right choice is to answer him honestly and to the best of my ability just like a few others I know that have also met Mark. As my "previous" profession I would never bag on a person trying to learn the same profession when I could just as easily mentor and build confidence in that person's success. That's really what Mark's passing on and paying forward while earning a living in his chosen profession.

Before opener came, an anonymous member here sent me a PM on advice for walleye on a body of water I've fished a time or so...😉
I answered best I could and for reasons beyond our control recommended they pass on that water. A few days later I was asked about another body of water I also have some "air time" on.

Here's a snippet from a PM, but you should know I've never met this person and probably have not exchanged PM's before.

Also,
I just want to say I have nothing but good things to say about Mr Martin and he's the kind of guy most would be proud to call a friend methinks.

Organism Sky Mammal Font Darkness

Letting me know or not, matters not - making a difference and hoping for success does. Last I looked a charter wasn't all that cheap and I've been on several - either as a customer or impromptu staff and the good captain would like to get paid, just like when your paycheck comes 'round.
Captain Mark always has, and always will guys.
Y'all ever helped out? Good on you if you have!

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Well school wrapped up yesterday. To be honest I think it would be 50/50 on how most guys would feel about it afterwards. I would guess that some guys would say "I could have learned all that from free you tube videos and some books". Other guys learn better from watching and having interaction with people.

Some of the highlights for me were:
- Learning how to run harnesses and cranks at the same time at higher speeds
-Learning how and why to identify holding areas of active fish in the shallower parts of the bay.
-One of the pro's is a Muskegon native and gave me his go to baits/ patterns/ locations for each season in the drowned river mouths over here.
-Spent 45 minutes one day with Mark just cruising around the bay as he showed me what he looks for to identify fish at higher speeds and what he has to see in order to slow down and get a better picture.
-Stories from Mark about other fishing personalities and TV hosts had me rolling
-Best way to bring a fish to the net that will end up in 0 lost fish at the back of the boat.
-Techniques Mark used to win tournaments fishing weeds on Northern LP and UP shallow lakes
-Many other small tricks that put a few more fish in the boat and less equipment failures.
- I have more confidence in some of the things I was already doing because they are the same as guys that have to consistently fill their boat.

In the end for me it was money and time well spent. I have no doubt it will help me put more fish in my boat. On top of that I made some friends with both the pro's and other fisherman extending my network. I have Marks cell number plus the cell numbers of 2 charter captains each working a different side of the bay. Also Marks tournament partner. They all interated many times to call them any time we need some info or advice on any body of water in North America.
Water Sky Boat Casting (fishing) Vertebrate

1 - 20 of 29 Posts