Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any pictures or can they describe there walleye rods ?

do you use a spring bobber on your walleye rods ?

what are the benefits of having or not having a spring bobber on a walleye rod ?

i have a 32 inch mh a 28 inch mh and a 28 inch m all st croix premier

should i put spring bobbers on one or all of them for walleyes?

how should i rig them up?

this is going to be my first year going after walleyes, so any and all help is appreciated. Thanks CD

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
You won't need spring bobbers for eye fishing due to the weight of the baits used.

I have a 42 inch Ice Fly medium rod rigged with 6 lb ice line.

Second rod is a 30 inch Plyflex rod that is real old, has big eyes on it, its loaded with 8 lb fireline micro ice line hooked to a good barrel swivel and then a 4 ft piece of 6 lb mono for a leader.

Third is a 30 inch Ugly stick medium rigged up the same as #2.

As for baits I'm hooked on buckshot rattle spoons but some others are jigging rapalas, swedish pimples, do-jiggers, regular jig with plastic curly tail, the list is endless. I tip all my spoons with one perch minnow on each barb of the treble hook...

Hope this helps but the list is almost endless as for rods/lines/baits etc.

Electronics is almost a must when fishing eyes in the winter.......you can do it without but its a lot tougher.......

Good luck..

Dan

·
Registered
63 Posts
For baits im pretty close to wall-eye. I also like buckshot rattle spoon but i just tip it with a minnow head, jigging raps are a must, pimples i use #5, and chubby darters #5. We just got these new baits in made by moonshine. They are similar to a jigging rap but the colors of them look hot and the glow they put out is unbelievable. Good luck.
PS no spring bobber (those are for people who dont know how to fish)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have about 6 different rods for different scenarios. Short ones for shanties and long ones for gunning. I fish two almost all the time with the handles right and left so I can drop one to reel the other. I like Cobra spoons along with the other baits. Fireline with about two feet of mono with a good ball bearing swivel. Also, bring a gaff. You can keep them under the edge of the ice and keep the hook hanging up to a minimum. Also they get real heavy when they come out.

Ken

·
Registered
52 Posts
Rods: I have a variety of 28 - 34 inch M to MH rods. My favorite is a 32" M Frabill UltraIce for #7 and #9 jigging raps followed my a 30" inch M Frabill Amplifier for #5 jigging raps or spoons. The UltraIce is alot stiffer than the Amplifier and you will see an even greater variance between different rod builders.

Reels: Hard to beat a Tica Cetus but I have a couple small Pfluegers and Okumas that are OK too.

Line: 15/4 Power Pro with 4' of 10# Seagar Leader Line attached with a very small Spro swivel. I use a small Spro coastlock snap on the terminal end.

Note: I always fish inside a warm shanty. The power pro will freeze and give you fits if you try and fish it outside in the cold for very long.

Lures: I use mostly #9 jigging raps and occasionally size #7. I never tip them with bait...just jig them like crazy. As a Moonshine Lures Pro Staff Member I should be receiving a bunch of the new Shiver Minnows really soon. The owner is working on a larger prototype size for me that will be closer in size to a #9 jigging rap.

Good Luck-

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just bought a moonshine shiver bait today and caught a nice eye on it a few hours later. I like the look and the available colors of them, and they are nice and heavy for fast fishing. As for rods, I use a 27 inch Gander Mountain med. light and a 28 inch medium action Austin Custom Rod. The custom is a great rod! I have about 8 other rods as well, but these are my favorite. If you fish inside, 27-28 inchers are perfect, any longer and you can get cramped.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I picked it up at gander mountain. They look very similar to a jigging rap but they have more body to them.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
I have about 6 different rods for different scenarios. Short ones for shanties and long ones for gunning. I fish two almost all the time with the handles right and left so I can drop one to reel the other. I like Cobra spoons along with the other baits. Fireline with about two feet of mono with a good ball bearing swivel. Also, bring a gaff. You can keep them under the edge of the ice and keep the hook hanging up to a minimum. Also they get real heavy when they come out.

Ken

That's a good idea on the handles, I never thought of that.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts