Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I’m looking for some suggestions. My uncle lives in Ishpeming and I’ve started making an annual ice fishing trip. I’m currently going to school out of state but plan to come up around 1st week of March. My buddy is also coming from MN and never fished in the UP or Michigan. I’ve been telling him that Michigan is better for fishing lol like ya should do!

We would like to catch walleye and lake trout primarily. But also wouldn’t be opposed to getting whitefish for the first time. Or something unique to that area. We are willing to go out a little more remotely and travel in about a 150 mile radius from Ishpeming. Also never been up to the kewenaw peninsula. Any suggestions on where to go in the western UP or the Keweenaw? Would you suggest staying inland or maybe hitting up the bays? Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
You will catch all your desired species on K bay. problem is march can be rough and is usually very slow fishing as the lake trout move to deeper water and walleye are shallow getting ready to spawn. whitefishing might still be good though. You will have much better luck on lake superior during the first few weeks of ice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will catch all your desired species on K bay. problem is march can be rough and is usually very slow fishing as the lake trout move to deeper water and walleye are shallow getting ready to spawn. whitefishing might still be good though. You will have much better luck on lake superior during the first few weeks of ice.
Thanks what about Inland lakes on the keweena peninsula?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you want to get walleye and lake trout you'd be better off ice fishing in Minnesota lol

To be hones tho, Lake Superior is the best bet. 1st week of March is a little early for smelt moving in, but you'd be at the beginning of burbot fishing, and could probably get into some lake trout/splake. Walleye around Marquette county are "hard to come by" or people just don't talk about where they catch them. Little Bay De Noc on Lake Michigan can be good if you chase the ice south, but can be a dead sea if you don't keep your pulse on it. Keweenaw Bay, Huron Bay, and Munising Bay are your best best on Superior.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Definitely check on the ice conditions here or on iceshanty.com before heading to Keweenaw Bay. It is still open water right now. Huron Bay is another possibility but I have never found the lakers there. It is not as deep as Keweenaw bay by a large margin. We usually fish K bay in the 250' to 265' depth range but others have success much shallower.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The ice is on Keweenaw Bay part way now. You can get out on the southern end of the bay on about 10" of ice and the ice as of yesterday was over a lot of the rest of it as far as we could tell. It was snowing very hard so we couldn't see across the bay but we couldn't see any open water while driving along the shore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.