Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

not from around here & haven’t been able to get out of the dorm to go fishing yet. Wondering if it would be worth it to give the Saginaw river a try or if doing so right now would be pointless. Also curious about spots to fish from shore, not secret spots, just publicly accessible spots. Any information/tips would be greatly appreciated, or if ya need a partner :)

thank you !!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hey all,

not from around here & haven’t been able to get out of the dorm to go fishing yet. Wondering if it would be worth it to give the Saginaw river a try or if doing so right now would be pointless. Also curious about spots to fish from shore, not secret spots, just publicly accessible spots. Any information/tips would be greatly appreciated, or if ya need a partner :)

thank you !!
Hey Man! You at Saginaw Valley? My boy is a senior in HS and is strongly considering SVSU for next fall. You like it there? The SagRiver is full of walleye and it is most definitely worth a shot. I'm from the Grand Rapids area and I'm about ready to take the 2 plus hr drive over there with the boat. I fish the river a decent amount but always from a boat. But pretty sure you can get into plenty of walleyes from shore pitching jigs and plastics. I believe Bay City is a bit better for shore fishermen, but think plenty get caught in Saginaw as well. Do a little searching on this forum and you'll find more info on shore fishing. Also search "Saginaw River Walleye" on Youtube. There are a few pretty good shore fishing videos on there that should help you out a bit. And if you are still there next year, maybe my boy will be your fishing partner...I know he will be exploring the river from shore a bunch if he ends up over there for school.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Vets park has a long section of River Walk that is easily accessable. Boys & Girls Club has a nice dock to fish from. Both are productive from shore and in Bay City.
Vets had 20 guys from shore yesterday, just saying. :)

·
Premium Member
29,582 Posts
It's about 8' along the wall until you get about 30' out then it drops off quick
It's about 10-12' deep within vertical jigging range about 6' from wall. Used to be alot of big rock in there and they cleaned it all out a few years back for the tall ships. Now the perch don't hang there like they used to, but good for the eyes....I'd rather have the perch..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts