Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you watch the story on FOX news Detroit about Det. River and others where fisherman were catching walleyes containing tape worms. Anyone find any in their fish. Where would you see them?

http://www.mlive.com/sportsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/sports-23/1179354836210150.xml&storylist=michigansports

Adult tape worms found in fish across eastern Lower Peninsula

5/16/2007, 5:33 p.m. EDT
The Associated Press
(AP) — Tapeworms have been found in walleye caught in waters on the east side of the Lower Peninsula, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources said Wednesday.
The fish are safe to eat when normal cooking procedures are followed, the DNR said in its weekly recreational fishing report.
The fish have been caught in the Detroit River, Saginaw River, Saginaw Bay, Tittabawassee River, Tawas River and Pine River. The DNR's Fisheries Division is working to determine the species and life cycle of the parasite and why they are suddenly showing up in walleye.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Tape worms eggs are ingested by their host and then they anchor in the intestinal region of the fish. They actaully stay in there and eat/absorb the food from their prey. It is rarely fatal in the short term, it just makes it hard for the fish to put on any weight. You likely wont find any when you clean the fish unless you are cuttin the guts up to see what they are eating. Anyhow, as long as you are not eatin the eyes like sushi then you have nothing to worry about. Thoroughly cooking the fish will kill all the eggs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I caught an 'eye earlier this week that had egg-like dots all over the gills. I was curious and opened up the stomach and the stomach had alot of these dots as well. The looked like cysts or eggs. Along with the eggs was about a 5-inch lamprey (yummy :corkysm55). I was tempted to throw the fish away. I labled it sick fish before I stuck the fillets in the freezer. The fillets looked fine though. I'm not sure if these are tapeworm eggs or not. Anyone else find these egg-like dot things and know what they are? I'd like to know before I eat it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts