Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some lakes to try this winter in s.w. mich. for walleye...any ideas/suggestions helpful...thanx

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
Never fished Gun Lake but one that I will try this year but 2nd street on Muskegon I would agree

·
Registered
10 Posts
Muskegon can be good, but you have to deal with a million guys.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks...so far it's Muskegon (may give it a try) and Gun which is real close to home. Anybody have more info on this one? Been reading where there are 4 or 5 spots to try but want to narrow it down. Also, is the state park entrance open in the winter and do they keep it plowed? Most times I will be using a 2 wheel drive p.u. hauling quad and shanty.Thanks again...M

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have heard of guys catching walleye of the state park in Gun. I have went out several times with no luck but I have talked to a few guys that have caught a few. The state park is open during the winter and they do keep it fairly clear in and out of there so you shouldnt have a problem getting in and out. Still have to pay the park fee to get in unless you have a sticker.

Stully

·
Banned
265 Posts
It depends on how far south you are. In Cass County I would have to say Magician or Diamond Lake would be your best bet. Jigging with Sweedish Pimples or Jigging Rapala's tipped with the head of a fathead minnow would be your best bet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have heard of guys catching walleye of the state park in Gun. I have went out several times with no luck but I have talked to a few guys that have caught a few. The state park is open during the winter and they do keep it fairly clear in and out of there so you shouldnt have a problem getting in and out. Still have to pay the park fee to get in unless you have a sticker.

Stully
Thanks Stully...yeah, gonna try it this year. Probably go in off the county park some too (quad). Trying the areas off the state park and Robbins Bay. Gillettes usually has pretty good info on the bite.Taking my wife and daughter some also to fish the perch,not to mention the extra flags I can run;). If you are gonna try it again,keep me posted and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was out in robbins bay during a tip up tourney and a 10 or 11 year old caught a 27" eye on a tip up a few years back nice fish and the kid took home a nice pot also. I know they are a few in there it is just a matter of finding them.

I know there a few guys on this site that do fish that lake pretty hard during the winter and post a lot so once the ice hits you should have more info.

Stully

1 - 13 of 13 Posts