Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
l’ve never fished the St. Clair river. I’m looking for advice on what section of the river to fish for walleye. Also looking for fisherman friendly motels in the area, fish cleaning stations and electric hook ups for battery chargers. I’m thankful for any information that could be provided.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’ve only have fished from Marine city south. And Port Huron area both really good. South end you can get away with not having a Canadian license. Highly recommend Having in the north end. Marysville and St Clair areas are supposed to be good also just never fished. Good luck

·
Administrator
17,421 Posts
l’ve never fished the St. Clair river. I’m looking for advice on what section of the river to fish for walleye. Also looking for fisherman friendly motels in the area, fish cleaning stations and electric hook ups for battery chargers. I’m thankful for any information that could be provided.
What time of year and method(s) of fishing (Jig, troll, whip...etc.)?
<----<<<

·
Registered
425 Posts
Check out Andersons Pro Bait, they have a Sunday morning Seminar on SCR walleye in the next couple of weeks.

I fish the middle section mostly, Marysville to MC, have also ran to PH and Algonac on occasion. Fish can be had the whole length, a Canadian lisc. opens up everything to you, but is not totally needed.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Follow the migration of transient fish. In mid-late April things usually get going at the channel mouths, and by July they are in the Marysville/PH area headed out into Lake Huron. There are resident fish year round, but you’ll catch more fish chasing the big migration.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
best fishing is about last week in April until end of May ( weather dependent) . Algonac to Marysville seems to be best areas for May walleye jig bite. Spinner bite gets good when water temps hit mid 50's. Some of the best walleye fishing I've ever had during the last 2 seasons 2018 was a bit better than last year but fish size was bigger last year.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Some of the best walleye fishing I've ever had during the last 2 seasons 2018 was a bit better than last year but fish size was bigger last year.
I recently up-sized the hooks on my handline lures because I'm expecting an increase is size again this year.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
best fishing is about last week in April until end of May ( weather dependent) . Algonac to Marysville seems to be best areas for May walleye jig bite. Spinner bite gets good when water temps hit mid 50's. Some of the best walleye fishing I've ever had during the last 2 seasons 2018 was a bit better than last year but fish size was bigger last year.
The harness bite seems to get good when the water is in the mid 40’s, but by the mid 50’s the jigging bite drops off, but are still left with a hot harness bite. Jigging just seems more fun so most of us aren’t dragging harnesses when the jigging circus is still in town.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I agree piketroller when the water hits mid 40 s the spinners start producing and gets better as is warms . And fish will start up and move down as the water warms

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for responding to my post. Your info is most helpful.
I live on the west side of the state( Grand Rapids). I’m looking to stay for a few nights in a motel, are there any fisherman friendly motels that someone would recommend.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Thank you all for responding to my post. Your info is most helpful.
I live on the west side of the state( Grand Rapids). I’m looking to stay for a few nights in a motel, are there any fisherman friendly motels that someone would recommend.
I have a friend who stayed a few nights at the Colony Motel in Clay Township. It was bare bones but acceptable to his standards. For trailer parking and outdoor power hookups, your best bet is to do some google maps searches and call the motels to see if they can accommodate what you are looking for. Most of the road side motels over here don’t have parking lots set up for a truck with a boat hooked nose to tail unless most of the rooms are vacant. There are a few marinas that could rent you an overnight slip where you could have it plugged in overnight and not have to worry about launching and retrieving every day. Finally, there are a number of houses to rent in VRBO, AirB&B, etc., some of which are right in the water with docking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a friend who stayed a few nights at the Colony Motel in Clay Township. It was bare bones but acceptable to his standards. For trailer parking and outdoor power hookups, your best bet is to do some google maps searches and call the motels to see if they can accommodate what you are looking for. Most of the road side motels over here don’t have parking lots set up for a truck with a boat hooked nose to tail unless most of the rooms are vacant. There are a few marinas that could rent you an overnight slip where you could have it plugged in overnight and not have to worry about launching and retrieving every day. Finally, there are a number of houses to rent in VRBO, AirB&B, etc., some of which are right in the water with docking.
Thank you for your information piketroller much appreciated!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Theres a guy that has done a few youtube videos on it, I think he is a semi pro angler. The videos are filmed at Andersons Pro bait.
Go to youtube and search for Todd Steele, as well as a search for Anderson Pro Bait (videos are called fish church). I watched them a few years ago, its a start.

Also, be prepared for alot of current, you may not be used to this much. I'd suggest a variety of heavy jigs and a line that sinks, like braid.

I use an ounce, and sometime have a hard time staying vertical due to wind and boat control. People that jig better can propbably use smaller.
Many people use braid, as it sinks better and is smaller diameter, so cuts thru the water better.
Personally, I dont think the "river jigs" that are kind of aerodynamic looking cut down the resistance that much, but I think they help a little.

·
Administrator
17,421 Posts
Thinking May. Jigging.
Sorry, I'm a little late to respond.
I like the camping idea, and will add that Algonac is a great place to start. Like others said, the river mouths can be the hot spots when the ice stops flowing.
Early in the year - go DEEP!
<----<<<

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I'm also from the GR area and I was "in your boat" a couple years back. I went to the SCR for the first time in June two summers ago. I planned on jigging but my bro brought some bouncers and harnesses with crawlers. We caught a couple jigging, but it was much harder to find the bottom in the deep water and heavy current where most guys were fishing. I was doing okay, but my buddy wasn't very experienced river jigging and he couldn't find the bottom for anything. We switched to bbs and harnesses and it was non stop action until we had our limit. That was out of Marine City. This past summer we went out of Marysville and it was the same program. I love jigging...but that June harness bite is a BLAST and super easy fishing. More likely to have great weather as well. Truly an awesome fishery and beautiful river! You will love it!!!

·
Registered
821 Posts
I fish st Clair river all spring,everyone thinks Detroit River is the best but our secret is Algonac to marysville is the best in my opinion and more launches and not as many idiots ,Canadian license is a plus.april to July always limits

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
I fish st Clair river all spring,everyone thinks Detroit River is the best but our secret is Algonac to marysville is the best in my opinion and more launches and not as many idiots ,Canadian license is a plus.april to July always limits
I'll be in touch! I want to try St Clair River! I like the DR but like to explore!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts