Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Fishers, Have eaten walleye cheeks several times in restaurants and decided since we have all these walleyes why not keep the cheeks. Know how to cut them out but they don't seem to have any scales on the skin or do they? Do you cut off the skin or bread and fry them whole without skinning ? Sounds like a stupid question but I'm sure others would like to know also. Thanks.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I start my cut at the one o'clock position on the eye and go clockwise back to the eye and flip it out with the skin still attached. Then I cut the meat to the skin and then pull the meat off. The skin should still be attached to the fish. Like anything else you'll get better the more you do it

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Put a good sharp edge on an old spoon. It will take a little work to get it fairly sharp but it works great. Make the initial cut w/ a knife then work the spoon to scoop it out.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I'llbeoutside said:
Put a good sharp edge on an old spoon. It will take a little work to get it fairly sharp but it works great. Make the initial cut w/ a knife then work the spoon to scoop it out.
that sounds like a damn good idea thanks i'll be outside

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Not fishy tasting out of Saginaw Bay. I like the texture of the cheeks, more firm like shell fish. I cut around three sides with a 4 inch fillet knife, and peel the meat out with my thumb. The skin stays behind. We had a fish fry a few years back with nothing but the cheeks. The fish were averaging 4#s a few years back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I cut it out with a filet knife same as the others. Cut from 1 o'clock almost all the way and peal the skin off. I collect several in a large ziplock bag in water with a splash of lemon juice and freeze them. As you get more add them to the bag and add more water. As long as you keep them circled with water and frozen you shouldn't have a problem with the fishy taste. This is the way I do my filets and have used them up to a year later rarely fishy. Cheeks make a hell of a chowder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.